Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Firs time service on new to me 580c

True ยท 2015-05-10 18:37

Hey guys, first timer here, I Bought a 1980 case 580c 4000 hours on the clock, it was an old county rig. Before I start putting this thing to work I want to do a basic service fluids filters, lube, and what ever else I may need to do. This is my first time owning a ho, so I was wondering if you guys could share links or advice on service locations, maybe a diagram with all the grease points, required fluids, or anything else you've found useful to you while maintaing your own rigs. Thanks, Tim

Replies12
  1. #1True2015-05-10 18:43

    Oh and the one thing I really need to replace is the seals on my steering rams (sorry if that's night the right lingo or term), they leak really bad and makes the thing hard, dangerous, to steer. Anyone have a good parts source, parts number, or maybe schematic diagram so I can get a better guess at what's leaking

  2. #2ghitch752015-05-13 17:09

    ebay has seal kits and whole rams.....is there fluid running out of the rams or hoses?....don't let the pump run dry as it can lock up and take out the cam gear in the engine....that is big buck's!!!!! http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...80c+steering.TRS0&_nkw=580c+steering&_sacat=0

  3. #3True2015-05-13 17:13

    It's coming out of the ram, I see in your sig you have a 79 extenda-ho that's what mine is. Can I ask you a kind of silly question, the dip stuck under the seat (in the front) what fluid is that and where's the drain plug? Mines like milk so I can tell by color or consistancy, or smell, and can't find the dam drain plug

  4. #4True2015-05-13 17:16

    I can't* tell what it is, sorry about all the typos I'm on my phone and hate typing with it

  5. #5ghitch752015-05-13 17:21

    plug is under the rearend....it is just to the right if your facing the front.....that is the trans fluid.....90 weight gear lube should be in it...

  6. #6True2015-05-13 17:33

    Hear fluid was my guess, but I don't want to guess I'm tryin to get this a reliable work horse, not a money pit, because she's a good runner, two little leaks is all that's wrong.... So if something else pops up it was me haha Do you no the capacity by chance? In trying to find a manual for this rig, just shoppinh around for a good manual at a good price

  7. #7ghitch752015-05-13 17:44

    5 gallons......i bought a pdf manual on ebay..... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...0c+manual.TRS0&_nkw=case+580c+manual&_sacat=0

  8. #8True2015-05-13 17:56

    Tractor supply here I come... I was thinking for draining it, filling it with diesel fuel, run it, to clean it, drain the fuel out then fill it back up... Would that be a good idea or grenade my rear end or waste my money? the fluid in there is nasty I want it clean before I put new fluid in there...

  9. #9ghitch752015-05-13 18:04

    i just pull the plug and let it drain for a couple hours then refilled it.......mine was watery too....

  10. #10True2015-05-13 18:10

    Well I'll let it drain real good and go for it hopefully it saves me a few bucks in diesel

  11. #11True2015-05-13 19:58

    And thank you very much for your time and knowledge ghitch I appreciate it

  12. #12ghitch752015-05-13 20:40

    anytime