Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

First purchase: skid or fork?

Abouna ยท 2011-12-04 00:21

OK, so we've gotten to the point where we need some handling equipment in our business. Problem is, other than running a Bobcat a few times over the years, we've never used or owned anything considered Heavy Equipment! Here's the problem and I'm hoping to get some help here. We need to move up to 2k+ lbs. in a confined space. Our first thought was a small fork lift, but then we started wondering if we could get a small skid loader that might do that and have the extra bonus of attachments for occasional other work like small scale landscaping (a bucket, etc). - needs to be very maneuverable, we have a 6' door and even tighter working space to deal with - used is a must, we need to keep the budget low - lift height is not major, semi bed height would be nice but not a must Is this even in the realm of a skid loader? Should we forget the bonus of a skid loader/attachments idea? Should we be looking strictly at a fork or what? Some guidance please.

Replies6
  1. #1k452011-12-04 11:06

    If you are in confined space, I would NOT recommend a skid steer. Visibility is very poor to the sides and rear. A skid steer is very versatile but is really an outdoors machine, preferably in "wide open spaces". I also don't think they have the tight space maneuverability that a fork lift has. Ken

  2. #2KSSS2011-12-04 12:08

    You will burn up some tires on the ssl as well. You can get hard tires for the ssl like what come on a fork lift but it makes the machine almost useless for dirt tasks. Depending on how much other work you have in mind and how tight of an area you are working in would be the deciding factor. The costs per hour will be higher in a ssl than a propane or electric fork lift. So you have to get some other work done to justify the additional costs, how much additional work and the value of that work will tell you if it pencils out.

  3. #3Abouna2011-12-04 16:14

    Sounds like I should just concentrate on a FL for now. I'll think about a skid later on. Over to the FL forum. Thanks!

  4. #4Kalai2011-12-05 02:05

    HI, I have both a skid steer and a fork lift and the skid steer is better for the outside. Aloha. Kalai

  5. #5wrwtexan2011-12-06 00:41

    I operate a tractor repair shop and a tree shearing business with a New Holland LS 180. My shop is 30 x 40. I have to be careful, but I could not run the shop without it. I can move dead tractors in and out of the shop, use it for in place lifting with the boom lock, and moving equipment around the yard on dirt. Try all of that with a small forklift. It is the most useful "tool" I own. With a set of pallet forks and other attachments, they are indispensable.

  6. #6Abouna2011-12-06 11:09

    Hmmm, I think the LS180 is a might big, my working space is about 25x25.