I finally had a chance to try out my '53 Cat 212 I picked up a few months ago. Seems like a nice old machine, runs good and everything seems to work as it should. First time ever on a grader- I like it! A couple pics of the old girl and a shot of the road I "graded". LOL
Nice looking job! Also by the looks of the road and your tires.. it was a little soft in places...
Looks like the old lady can still work, and will propably still be working long after Ms will be gone. Anyone can tell me how old is this cat? It is a 9T 1443 . it still runs, exept its starter, which is now replaced with an electric one. One think I am sure about this machine, is it has no computer on, I for one havent seen any, which is a good think cause it will be still running after may be two hundrend years?
Thanks, I'm trying to put into practice what you guys were telling me to do in an earlier thread. There were some good sized puddles in the road, and I tried to chase the water out, with mixed success- one hour of experience does not a grader operator make! Didn't help that I've lost sight in one eye (temporarily, I hope), and the combination of an unfamiliar machine and the weirdness of being one-eyed made things a bit challenging.
Dave, that's one heck of a good line! But I look at that last pic, and even though your a temporary "one eyed bandit", it not only looks like your doing a pretty good job, but your also having too much fun! :notworthy
With only an hour of seat time and one eye, with a old knuckle buster blade- you did a outstanding job! Better than I seen from an "experienced" blade hand I hired last summer. At least you knew how to put the blade on the ground!
My book shows it is a 1950.
Thanks for the encouragement, nice to know I'm on the right track. Just wait 'til I get my good gradin' eye back!
Outstanding job there Dave. Hope your eye mends quickly. :drinkup Rigandig
WOW That is an excellent Job, I have never tried grader but someday would love to learn. Thanks for sharing
I think your doing a heck of a job! Once you get that "good gradin' eye" back, I think I'll sneak out there and switch some hoses on your control valves...just to mess with your head.
Hey R&D, Good to see you here! The frustrating thing about this eye problem is that no one can tell me what's wrong. The best opthamologist in the area says- after extensive testing- that's there's nothing wrong with the eye itself. MRI and CT scans show nothing. Sooooooo... there's nothing wrong, other than that I can't see out of it:beatsme Tomorrow morning I'm headed to Philadelphia to see a neuropthamologist, maybe he can shed some light. While there's probably no really good time to lose one's vision, this is quite an inconvenient thing to happen right now. I picked up some work for a company that does corrosion control on gas pipelines, and I'm headed back to northwest PA next week to do some finish work on a job out there, then the week after that I have to be in north jersey to get qualified to dig on the gas pipeline. Assuming I pass the qualification they have some work for me putting in anodes, and by the time that's done it will be time to go back to the corps contracts. I'll get it done on one eye if I have to, but I'm not "looking" forward to it. Wow, that's a truly awful pun.:duh
Me too! LOL
I'd like to see you try- it's all mechanical! LOL
Ahh, but the hoses going from the valves to the cylinders isn't. Hee Hee
ointlaugh (Shhhhhh, don't nobody tell him that there's not a hydraulic hose or cylinder on the whole machine...)
Geez, I didn't even notice that! :falldownlaugh Man, you've got a nice old "mechanical machine" there. Your a good man! Give me a minute...I'll think of something to sabotage on that rig. :naughty I still think your doing a heck of a good job, can't sabotage that! :notworthy
I can tear it up pretty well by myself, I think- don't really need any help, but thanks anyway... Now if I could only find that ^%$@%! grease gun!
Man, you are funny! I love it! (inside joke, folks) :lmao
CAT 212 Grader Just purchased a CAT 212 Grader...9T2508... Looking forward to using it on our community private road... Have been using tractors with old iron-wheeled pull graders of various sizes...Stockland 10, Stockland 35, Adams 10, and Adams 104...with others in the pasture waiting to be re-furbished...Learned the basics of grading with these old pull graders...Truly all mechanical...No hoses on them... Any info on the year of this CAT 212 Grader, manuals, parts, and such would be appreciated. I really like this site...very informative... Respy, Carl
Can you post a picture of it? What's the value of such an old cat?:cool2
Not able to post a photo yet...later... As for value...it depends on what shape it's in, where it is, and how bad someone wants it... Would still like to know what year mine is...9T2508...
It is a 1951.
http://www.cat.com/cda/files/268568/7/motro_graders.pdf
CAT 212 Grader Thanks for the info on the year for my 212...I appreciate it... Now, where's the best source for manuals...Not much available on e-bay...And with some re-prints, the photos are not very clear... Great Forum...Really appreciate all the help...Thanks... Respy, Carl
http://www.repairmanual.com/tractors/17/859 http://cgi.ebay.com/Cat-Caterpillar...temQQimsxZ20090307?IMSfp=TL090307199008r25382 http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/store/mansrch.pl too expensive thought, I think.
diesel dave I think you should spray it new give it a new paint job it would look sharp
I was thinking the same thing, but then I wouldn't want to get it dirty Plus, ATCOEQUIP might scratch the paint while he's crawling over the machine looking for a hydraulic hose to cut:stirthepot
Naaa, I'll choose a battle that I can win. You nailed my hide to the wall with that one. But I also think the old girl would look good with some fresh paint.