I've been reading this forum for a short time now and think its great, been operating motorgraders at secondary road maintenance for 23 years but still have lots to learn. Just thought I would share a road mantenance manual we got at a seminar a number of years ago that I finaly found on the internet. It has lots of info so it takes a little time to download. Would like to see some other manuals that are out there. THANKS www.epa.gov/owow/nps/gravelman.pdf
Welcome to the Heavy Equipment Forums LRG. There is a definite lack of well documented procedural stuff (how to go about it) in terms of free on the net. Maybe this thread will uncover some gems.
without looking at the above link wirtgen have a lot of info on working roads, recycling etc
wow that's a lot of usefull-interesting information!!thanx very much and welcome little road grader!!
Well done great info down loaded it to the hd for further use Thanks Stock
That's a problem with the motorgraders. Much of the info and manuals on blading are outdated,but still usefull for new hands. Our County along with some surrounding ones will send us to a one day "motorgrader school" now and then (more than). I think it's put on by the University of Iowa and the DOT. They have had a class at Kirkwood in Cedar Rapids and at Peosta (NE Iowa Comm. Collage) "maybe" once a year ??? It's fairly informative for new people,but most of the stuff we're already on to. The nice thing is,you get a free (so so) lunch and get to BS with a whole bunch of other motergrader operators from different counties. That part is worth it's weight in gold. You get to trade tips and tricks with other motorgrader operators about the same problems. It's nice too,most of the instructors were/are motorgrader operators with actual seat time. They also do a follow-up and come around to the different counties and spend a little time with you and your machine (if you want).
Hi guys, thanks for letting me join your forum. A great manual, saved a copy for future reference.
There was this one set of books put out in 1982, called the 'Road Maintenance Handbook' as part of the UN Economic Commission for Africa, and while it is a very simply laid out book, it comes in three volumes: Volume 1-maintenance of roadside areas, drainage structures and traffic control devices, and details the intricacies of shoulder maintenance, bridge repair, vegetation control and maintenance of road signs and what have you. Volume 2-maintenance of unpaved roads, and details grading, dragging, patch repair and regraveling of gravel roads. Volume 3-maintenance of paved roads, and details common problems with asphalted surfaces, how to fix them as well as surface dressing and resurfacing. They come in several different languages, complete with illustrations on the left and descriptions on the right.
Don't suppose you have an electronic copy? Stock
Great manual!!! TFS
Unfortunately no, sorry. I have the first three volumes, I forget what the fourth was called, but they really cool, although they are a little out dated.
Very helpfull manual, Thanks for sharing it!
I also have that EPA manual saved for reference,I cannot remember how that I found it. I also still have the Caterpillar publication that was handed out to the troops when I was in heavy equipment school at Ft LeonardWood mo highlighting the Cat 12 grader back in 1960.The principles that it pointed out still apply today.Ron G
You can download all 4 manuals from http://www.metschies.com/downloads.htm The manuals are listed at the bottom of the page.
Here is another - Local Roads - Maintenance Workers Manual
These are great :drinkup
:notworthy :usa Thank you very much TriHonu best kind of info for us starters! Very helpful manuals !:notworthy