Hello, Can I secure an o-ring upside down with red rubber? I don't know what the ring is made from. Background: The large (6"?) O-ring on the underneath of the hydraulic tank of my Takeuchi TB016 digger needs to be secured in the upside-down groove before bolting on the plate. I've made one attempt with silicone grease; first a thin layer but it just fell out, then I slathered it on. It's not easy to do because your hand is cramped in an awkward position and you try to put some on with your finger and it falls off. It finally seemed to be on, though difficult to see... Put it all back together, refilled tank exercised the hydraulics but couldn't lift machine high enough to remove concrete blocks. Got down to check for leaks, and it was leaking from the plate. Thought I hadn't tightened enough, but there was very little more I could tighten it. I presume it's the O ring that's badly seated. I should have left the old one in place because it was secure and needed a pick to remove. Drained tank again, with 12v pump because the drain plug is in an impossible position. When it stops raining I'll remove the plate again. (Another pain because it means removing 3" thick hose and metal elbow to pump; I had to drill holes under frame to get Allen key into two inaccessible bolts!). I plan to dispense with bolts and insert studs instead: I'll be able to place the plate easily, simply, instead of jigging the plate around to line up the holes -- I suspect it's moving the heavy plate to align the holes that buggered up the ring. At last my question: can I use red rubber to secure the ring? Thanks to anyone who can advise me.
Good day Have you considered taking the tank off the machine not so difficult. Kind regards Uffex
Transmission assembly gel works well in situations like this very heavy and sticky grease that isnt going to hurt anything Glueing the oring in with rtv silicone may work but is not considered best practice https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7652615?cid=paidsearch_shopping_dcoe_google&campaign=GSC-Chemicals&campaign_id=6478876245&adgroup_id=115972171828&adtype=pla_with_promotion&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1_rNlN7AgQMVjxStBh2QrAbBEAQYASABEgK9ifD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&
I may or may not have super glued on in place in a similar situation before
Ah, Thanks for writing. No, I haven't considered that -- nor, I think, will I! Kudos for lateral thinking, though. "Not so difficult." Umm.. I'm a newbie to these machines, and nothing has been 'not so difficult' for me. I'd like the Takeuchi design engineers to be given a bunch of tools, and told, ' Change the ...' Nothing more than maintenance tasks. Well, I've dismantled, got disgustingly oily, and replaced the bolts with studs. The o-ring was 'not unscathed', shall we say. TBC.
Thank you. I've looked up rtv now and won't be going that route. Thanks for telling me what not to use, always useful. I'll have a quick look st transmission assembly gel; I like the 'sticky'.My main concerns were a) it has to hold the ring in place, b) it mustn't corrode the ring over time.
Thanks for writing.
I use anaerobic sealant, like this, to hold the upside down Oring on the hydro tank top of my SVL75 & SVL75-2.
I use silicone assembly grease. it is not an adhesive, it is a thick grease substance that sticks O-rings where you want. It does not cure out and is not a big deal if you have to go back. I can't find what I use but there are tubes of O-ring silicone out there. I have a little cardboard tub that has lasted years, just a dab sticks things where you want.
One more here to say don't even think about rtv silicone! There are places it is good but not where a bugger of it can get in to an oil passage!
Fabuloso! You tell me specifically what you use it for and send me a pic. The item code fooled me a bit cos I misread the last digit. Read all the 1 to 4 star reviews and a few pages of 5 star. Plenty of contradictory advice as to whether you need fixer spray (at $20), much plenty of interesting stuff. Could use it for a whole load of things. But unfortunately the French price is ... I will stick it up with summat else -- chewing gum, Brylcreem, or red rubber grease. Thanks again, masterclass in replying and recommending.
Thanks! I read a lot of people say that when reading reviews on Permatex item. One attached
Heavy viscosity rubber grease would be my choice for the job.
If in doubt about what you are thinking of using put a small gob of it on the bench and let it sit over night. If it is still just as soft in the morning it is probably safe to use. Even better would be to take that gob next day and try mixing with the oil the system uses. If it softens and seems to dissolve easy you should be good to go!
I have rebuilt so many valves, and tank seals etc. I have always used a handful of Vaseline. Works every time, don't worry about compatibility since it's petroleum jelly. It works and it defies gravity if, and only if,, you're applying to a dry surface. So clean your work area with brake cleaner. Pack your groove with jelly, fit your O-ring to squish out the jelly, fit your bung cover and rock on. Good luck. https://www.amazon.com/Vaseline-Petroleum-Jelly-Original-Protectant/dp/B00AET70UA/ref=asc_df_B00AET70UA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312087935433&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10093584020947633606&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9112979&hvtargid=pla-569297901488&psc=1
Thank you. I've looked up my red grease but find no specific info. Another maker seems to have what Im looking for: "PRODUCT DESCRIPTION PEAK RED RUBBER Grease is premium quality clay thickened grease formulated with Castor Oil. The grease is specifically formulated for a wide range of automotive and industrial applications where contact with natural and/or synthetic rubber components is required or likely. These include hydraulic dust covers, braking system components, seals, washers, stoppers, tyre rims etc. PEAK RED RUBBER Grease will not adversely affect rubber parts therefore preventing excessive softening or hardening." Can't actually remember precisely when I've used it in the past, presumably on 'rubber'. I have another red grease, bought sometime on recommendation but never used. I show the new ring deformed over the old ring, which I will re-use tomorrow. Finally, have cleaned groove with brake cleaner and ear buds. Pic shows studs in place instead of stupid bolts, which require incessantly jiggling the plate around and inevitably moving the ring. Thanks again to all responders.
Thank you! Have just gobbled a bit on wood, metal and plastic.Pretty sure I'm going with this because am getting fed up with this.
Thank you, just stumbled on this, not notified it seems. I'm surprised to hear a recommendation for Vaseline because I thought it was a no-no. E.g. I love the "defying gravity"! Sounds wonderful. "Dry surface" yup. "Brake cleaner", yup, done that. Love the "packing", 'cos I was just going to do teeny blobs. Tomorrow I will be packing with red rubber grease. And squishing!
BTW, hydraulic oil, all oil is petroleum. There is no harm in using a petroleum based product for O-ring placement. That said, you can't use it on seals where there's a rotating shaft such as crank and cam seals. Those are typically teflon and must be installed dry. Floating seals are a different animal all together. Don't trust everything you read on the interwebs. You've been afforded a couple lifetimes of experience and knowledge. Most folks here only want to help you and won't deliberately steer you wrong.
I'm certified actually. And youtube certified too
Exactly what I use, just not the brand name$$ Petroleum Jelly. https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Petroleum-Petrolatum-Protectant/dp/B09HHBYQXY/ref=asc_df_B09HHBYQXY/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=598274566537&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12319150889617932081&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9004007&hvtargid=pla-1662451151648&psc=1
Thanks you guys. It's done and no evident leaking. We'll see. (But after 5min testing pushing a bit of earth the sight glass level had lowered to 1/4" above lower limit.) I dried the groove with ear buds, squished some grease in, pushed on the ring... which just sat there like it had never heard of gravity. Gently pushed plate onto the studs; and thanks to studs no messing lining up bolt-hole-hole, no risk of displacing the O ring. Thanks again for all help!
Was that the red rubber grease you had?
Yup. Looks like the strawberry squirt the used to squirt on your ice cream! Thanks again for help. I certainly put more on than I was going to THANKS TO YOU! (I took a pic of the ring stuck into onto the grease but obviously deleted it by mistake.)
Please don't mistake that red grease for strawberry squirt on your ice cream or you will be telling us about other leakage!
YO-HO! That confection of ice cream was (is?) called a "99" (in the UK).
I keep a bottle on the truck for the same reason.
I have used 3m weatherstrip spray glue. Easy to clean off with brake clean. I also use it on the cat oil pan gaskets that are a jigsaw puzzle.
Thank you.
And hear I am gluing it together with aviation 'form-a-gasket' Whoever thought that up should get beaten....a lot!
Cat had a lot to answer for when they did away with 5H-2471 aka "Cat Green" cement. Although did I hear that Loctite 5012 is a reasonable facsimile thereof.......
I LOVED that stuff while applying............HATED it when trying to clean it off parts.
I am glad they quit using that green cement. You couldn’t get it off without some power tools.
Thanks. Job's finished now as per above, where clearly I just wanted to stick rather than gasketize (??), but I've had a quick search cos this could come in handy in the future. Unsurprisingly, never 'eard of it. But these guys have, some having the temerity to question the expert, and precisely about the problem of removing it when the time comes. Thanks for all this info you're all giving me to squirrel away to use... someday. SORRY, I think I've mixed up some responses here.