Does any one have experience on flow thru foundation. Just looking for comments and thoughts on them.
What do you want to know exactly?
I am possibly building a house on some property that I own and the county said I will need a flow thru foundation due to it being flood plain. Are they difficulty, expensive a good foundation in general? Thanks
Dont know if it a flow thru foundation, but we have had a city inspector tell us we had to use special vents in a flood plain on a wood foundation we were installing. (I really wouldnt call any of that project a foundation, but that was the title) The vents they wanted us to use were big money!!! The owner ended up having us staple screen to the vent holes from the inside. The theory was the water could force the screen out of the way. I just said "yes sir" and did it! I would go visit a local engineer and find out some more information about it.
a what?
A friend of mine has a home on the south carolina coast.His house has the "flow though" fondation.Its a block foundation with spaces it between to let the tide in during a storm , and let the water back out quickly after the tide receds.It basicly looks like a 2 story house , only bottom story is left open for storm surges.It is decorated in white lattice,they have stiarways & outside decks on the upper level.I have to give my strong opinion on this issue.There is no way I would build a new home In a flood plane.Life has enough challenges as it is, let alone having to deal with flooding around your home.Always build on the high ground.To each his own ,But thats my 2 cents.
How low is your site? A hinged screen in the foundatoin wall lets floodwater into the crawlspace. The added cost could include higher building permits, stricter grading tolerences, taller foundation walls and flood insurance. Good luck.
Here's one type of flow thru foundation. This is a school in King Cove AK. Thought it was interesting. Sorry for the blurry pic.