Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How many hours on a screemin’ jimmy

quantum500 ยท 2009-03-17 23:33

I wanted to get a little more specific. How many hours have you gotten on a 53,71,92 and 149 series engine?

Replies21
  1. #1Speedpup2009-03-18 20:38

    over 6000 on one in my Lull but I am not the original owner.

  2. #2cb12009-03-22 00:11

    I don't know, but I have one (8V71N with Alison) I need to get rid of out of a firetruck that runs great. Could be the wrong forum though, let me know....

  3. #3quantum5002009-03-22 10:24

    What are you asking for it?

  4. #4cb12009-03-22 11:18

    Still in the truck, still drives, 1500 for both, but I have to take (cut) out yet. Radiator would go with also. Thanks cb1

  5. #5quantum5002009-03-22 11:28

    Thats a good deal if anybody needs it. Might try some of the bus conversion forums. I just bought a '82 seagrave with jakes for $2500 delivered.

  6. #6John C.2009-03-22 14:53

    Probably the best I've seen for any of them tops out at around 7,500 hours. The small engines usually went a lot less. I rebuilt a bunch of 4-53s at 2,500 hours and seen quite a few 8-71s go 5,000. I've been told the 149s went a lot hours in the right application but I saw them in big haul trucks only last 5,000. They were pumped up way too much. Those units were repowered with Cummins engines later on. The smaller inline engines were usually so easy to inframe and didn't take all that much time to do that one didn't give much thought to it. The V6 and V8 were a pain to rebuild and I wouldn't recommend any of them after the green block 92 series fiasco.

  7. #7surfer-joe2009-03-22 21:33

    I had some 16V149's, 2000hp in West Virginia with about 15,000 hours on them. Started an overhaul program shortly after I got there and they were pretty good inside. Ran a Mobil oil all their life, not synthetic. Herded some 50T Euclids with 16V71's in Indiana, they were in the 12-14,000 hour range. In that mill we had some Michigan 475's running 16V71 Detroits, all three were around 12,000 hours or better, but a couple had been rebuilt around 7-8,000 SMU's. Slag dust is pretty abrasive. Most all of that stuff ran on a Sunoco oil. I've seen all kinds of 471's with upwards of 10,000 hours. Ran a screen plant in central Michigan that used a 671 Detroit, had about 22,000 hours on it, ran like it too. We bought it used from some place in Wisconsin. I overhauled a 6V53 out of a 125 Michigan in 1973 that was at about 16,000 hours. It was a machine that had been used in a quarry in Vietnam by RMK-BRJ. I never knew how it wound up back in Michigan. I had a Kenworth 800 in California that had a turbo'd Silver 8V92 in it with 850,000 miles on the odometer. It was getting a bit weak and was starting to drip a lot of oil out the air box drains. That had an Oberg Spinner bypass filter on it and was always fed Shell Rotella 40wt. The slashers I worked on in Canada all had 671 in-lines and were all well over 10,000 hours. They ran a Gulf 30wt. All the Drott's there had 6V53's, excepting the small ones that used a 453. They all had quite a few hours on them, all the Tree Farmer skidders used 453's and they were quite old at the time. The company was replacing them with 664 Clarks and John Deere's. Seems I remember they were starting to use Timberjacks too. I worked a portable screen plant in Colorado that had an 8V71 bolted to a 350kw genset. This went on the job new and lasted 4000 hours. We were running the wrong oil (15W40), plus it sat right under the feed conveyor to the screen deck so ate a lot of very fine talcum like dust. Changed to 40wt after the O/H and rerouted the air intake. In the late seventies I worked for an outfit that used 12V and 16V Detroits on oil rigs and mud pumps. All their generators were Detroit powered too. The rig engines were very high hour and idled a lot, wet stacked like crazy. The pumps were in the same situation, but when they worked, they worked hard. The gensets ran a steady pace, most were 500kw, but we had some small ones at 150K. Hours varied, but most were over 5000 SMU's. In the mid sixties my brother and I had some 50's model Letourneau D Pulls with 471's. All were hard used and high hour. We never had any trouble with the engines, just everything else. I couldn't say now how many hours were on those engines, it's doubtful that they were original. I ran some TS14's in Texas one winter that were pretty old and they all had 471's. The next winter I ran a TS24 in Colorado that was rather old, it had a new 671 O/H in back and the original 12V71 in front at 9500 hours. That engine gave up on me around 10,000 hours and we exchanged it. I'm a little partial to the noisy bustards, they were a good engine and rarely let a guy down.

  8. #8quantum5002009-03-22 21:59

    Good info guys that was what I was looking for. The old detroits are pretty hard to beat and give plenty of warning before they let go. I'm thinking of doing a repower on a tub grinder. Wanted to make sure it was worth the effort. Sounds like I wouldn't be giving up anything in longevity compared to a 3412 cat.

  9. #9LonestarCobra2009-03-23 19:02

    We usually get 5000-6000 on the 53,71,and92 series. We dont run them too hard. The 16-149's we have on frac pumps get full throttle and heavy load constantly for 5-8 hours straight. They will usually run 9000-10000 hours. :guns

  10. #10dayexco2009-03-24 11:02

    if you're looking for a v-8 detroit...i dunno if it's a 71 or a 92, but it's BRAND new. http://cgi.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=2265822 looks like a marine application, but i would think that would/could be easily converted.

  11. #11quantum5002009-03-24 12:13

    What kind of fuel consumption are you getting out of the 149 detroits?

  12. #12LonestarCobra2009-03-24 19:30

    Good question. We dont ever look at it. On those jobs we have anywhere from 8 to 30 of those pumps lined up, and not all of them are Detroits. During the course of the job, a bobtail fuel truck keeps the fuel tanks full. I can tell you it is alot. When there is 16,000 to 50,000 horsepower burning fuel, there is a big black cloud hovering above the location. If I were just guessing, I would estimate that those 149's use 300 gallons of diesel every 5-6 hours under a full load.:guns

  13. #13TRADITIONAL2009-03-26 07:49

    screamin jimmy's I have had good luck with Detroits I have found that people that cut them down usually run with damaged or missing exhuast and complain they are noisy never change the oil and wonder why they finally explode after 10,000 hours of abuse . They always start in the cold are in fact reliable and cheap to run and maintain , machines that have them will always go cheap so if your not in it all day it's usually a great savings on a machine no one ran much . By the way I'm new to this forum where is the spelling check feature I really need it.

  14. #14TRADITIONAL2009-03-26 07:52

    V12 detoit By the way I have a v12 detroit in a rock truck In Massachusetts with a 6 speed auto trans look on craigs list if your interested

  15. #15chuck jacobs2009-04-01 21:47

    I have a 353 in a bantam dragline crawler crane, 1957 original engine. it still runs fine even when i almost stalled it out digging in blue clay. the engine ran backward full throttle before i could shut it down. when i restarted it smoked alot for about fifteen minuets then everything was fine. chuck jacobs

  16. #16quantum5002009-04-02 02:14

    Some old timers swear that is the only way to get the full potential out of detroit. Run'em backwards to get all to cobs blown out!

  17. #17dayexco2009-04-02 18:17

    excavator wise, i cut my teeth on a drott 40 with a 4-53....when i was REAL young, dad had an old allis chalmers crawler loader....HD5G?, can't remember which model.... with a 2-71 detroit. everytime you turn hard left, off came the track...most of my time w/detroits was a 50 drott with a 6v-53...did a small city sewer replace job where the mains were down the alleys and very tight quarters.....the mufflers were mounted directly to the manifolds, stood straight up...hit a branch, you cracked a manifold and the muffler fell off...guess what? it took about a week to get a new manifold, so you listened to it scream. dad finally wised up, built some cradles to lay the muflers flat on the deck and hook them up with flex tube. i'm 55, i'm told every other word out of my mouth is "HUH?" we need to bring up a class action lawsuit against Detroit diesel for destroying all our hearing...:beatsme:beatsme. i'll try and post some pics, of a hopto 200 my dad had, mounted on an early 50's GMC truck with a detroit.

  18. #18quantum5002009-04-02 20:28

    Thats in poor taste, don't you think?

  19. #19dayexco2009-04-02 20:55

    am i too assume you're serious about me being serious?

  20. #20JDOFMEMI2009-04-02 23:11

    Huh? Whats that, I can't hear you. Quantum500, I can see where it could be taken wrong, but knowing Dayexco for a while on the forum, I know he meant no harm saying that. Besides, I know all of us can hear just fine if the people talking to us would just speak up a bit.

  21. #21quantum5002009-04-03 15:47

    I was serious only if you were. Seeing that you are not neither am I