Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fluid film on excavator undercarriage

Liberty ยท 2018-09-18 13:41

I just sprayed my truck frame with fluid film. It did such a good job i am thinking about spraying my excavator undercarriage with the same. I figured it would help reduce wear and rust. Any input on this idea?

Replies10
  1. #1Liberty2018-09-20 19:30

    Since I had no input I did it today. Power washed and then sprayed the Fluid Film.

  2. #2funwithfuel2018-09-20 20:10

    Never heard of the stuff. What is it. Any links to descriptions

  3. #3mikebramel2018-09-20 23:27

    Works good. If you use the heavier version it lasts a long time. Can go at least a whole year in a wheel well for a road vehicle

  4. #4Liberty2018-09-21 05:47

    https://www.fluid-film.com/

  5. #5funwithfuel2018-09-21 05:59

    That was informative. Thanks. Being in rust belt central, this looks worth while. Appreciate the link.

  6. #6digger242j2018-09-21 06:13

    I'd think the mud and dirt that an undercarriage lives in would wear it away pretty quickly though. Since Liberty has gone and done it already, I'll be watching for an update to see what the results are.

  7. #7Bluox2018-09-21 11:37

    Does your digger smell like a wet sheep when it rains? Bob

  8. #8kshansen2018-09-21 19:16

    Bob you say that like it would be a bad thing!BAAAA BAAAA BAAAA could not be too much worse than the wet dog smell from a Husky/Shepard mix we had for years! Actually this has got me thinking about trying it on one of my snow blowers this winter. Have two identical machines with the same motors so it would be a very good test. Spray down one and not the other and see if it makes a noticeable difference. Early winter wet snow would be the best test, that can be a major pain with clogging up auger and chute.

  9. #9JPV2018-09-22 22:47

    I have an old JD disc that I sprayed half the gangs with after they were shined up then let sit outside for the winter as a test. The next spring the side that had fluid film had less rust was shined back up in minutes and the other side took quite a bit longer. It is great for keeping hay bailers in good shape in our wet climate over the winter even when storing inside. Keeps all the surface rust away and does not attract dust. Works great on leather boots too, although it does have a smell.

  10. #10donald noel2018-09-24 08:50

    Been using it for years by spraying everything steel that lives outside. It's heavier than WD40 so it sticks around longer, in my experience. Wonderful stuff but as has been noted, smells pretty nasty.