I recently purchased my first dozer a 1999 Dresser TD8H LGP. The dozer has not had the fluids/filters changed since 2013. The dozer only has 250 hours on it since then. However, i'm sure it has collected some condensation. What should I run for filter brand and oil type for hydraulic system and trans system? Do I need to lubricate in the undercarrige? I don't have a manual yet. Any help would be greatly appreciatd.
As I recall the transmission used HiTran oil which was another name for tractor hydraulic fluid. I don't recall the transmission filters being anything special. Komatsu dealers handle that brand of machine now. Hydraulic system could use most anything but the common oils around here was a base hydraulic oil rated AW46. You might used something a little lighter in your location. Same thing on the hydraulic filters. You should probably be asking about an Operation and Maintenance manual for the machine. The undercarriage rollers and idlers had lots of problems with seals in those days. If you see oily dirt around the axle shafts you will need to check for play between the roller or idler and the shaft. Most of the time people don't recognize there is an issue and run till they can be shaken around with a bar. If you catch them in time you can put new seals in them and run them out.
Thanks for the information/feedback. I will start looking for manuals. Hopfully, it has one in the battery door. I will watch for leaks on the undercarrige. The dozer only has 200 hours on complete undercarrige so hopfully the seals hold up better then the OEM's.
I have a TD-9H and run a shell oil that is compatable with HY-Tran oil for the transmission and Rotella 10W engine oil in the Hydraulics. AW 32 Hyd oil wood be similar to 10W engine oil. DWF
Small world, my property/dozer are located outside of Ladysmith. Who do you order your parts through locally? Do you know off hand what Shell product you are running? Thanks for the information.
I will check to see if I have the type oil, should be marked on the small barrel I have. I will post back. FWD
Dresser parts I used to buy at Roland Machinery (several Wi locations) The TD8H is the same as D38 E or P Komatsu, but built by Dresser. They should have some parts. Blue Ridge Tractor in Benton Il is a Dressta dealer and I needed some parts for an older Dresser loader and they got them for me, nice people too. Transmission oil: Shell Spirax S4CX10W. I bought this in Duluth, Mn at Como Lube & Supplies a large Shell and other brand dealer. Engine oil filter: Baldwin BT427 or Wix 51602, Hydraulic and Transmission spin on filter Wix 51456
Very helpful! It gets delivered tomorrow and I have a long list of projects waiting for it.
Steve. Engine Fuel filter: Baldwin BF788, Wix 33358. Another for the Transmission $ Hydraulic Filter (same one for both) Baldwin 8841MPG. Good luck with it. Where did you find it? Bark River Culvert & Equipment was the dealer for IH and then Dresser for many years, then they had Komatsu and sold out to Roland which had been a Dresser dealer too. Bark River was a superb dealer in my opinion! FWD
Thanks again for the detailed information. I purchased it from Swiderski in Mosinee. They bought from an equipment auction in Merrill last April. I didn't pay much more then they bought it at acution. Seems to be a good honest old dozer, just a little rusty. Someday Spring will come and I can get busy with it.