Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

fluids for case 9030b excavator

mudhole ยท 2014-09-20 13:36

I need to top off the hydraulic fluid, the manual calls for MS-1230 NT or LT, can I just go to tractor supply and find an oil with those specs? also it calls for straight 90 weight GL-4 for final drives, I have GL-5, does that exceed the GL-4? can I mix...it is just barely low(might even be bc it might not be purely level either), doesn't seem burnt at all. last question, does anybody use diesel additives? if so which?, mainly concerned because all I have around here is the ultra low sulfur, I have heard that even the off road is ultra low, but I have steered clear of off road since a bad experience with water in my fuel. thanks in advance,

Replies6
  1. #1Shimmy12014-09-24 00:46

    You probably don't know exactly what fluid is in the hydraulics so unless you're going to change it and flush system it's kind of a moot point. Top off with Hy-tran, Ag-master, or whatever the Case dealer puts in. I personally stay away from the cheap, generic oils. Your gear oil same thing. Put your 90 in call it good. Probably couldn't hurt to change the finals. Who knows when if ever it's been done. As for additives if I ever use them it's either Howes, Power Service in the white bottle, or every other tank fill in my truck with the Cummins ISX it gets a dose of FTTP Sludge-buster to keep the aspaltame under control.

  2. #2clintm2014-09-24 19:01

    stanadyne fuel treatment is what all the diesel pump and injector shop's swear by. I use iso 46 premium HYD oil with anti foaming agents I all my excavators.Go ahead and change the oil in final drives it doesn't take that much and they are expensive, check for metal in oil if you find any it probably would be a good idea to flush them out

  3. #3mudhole2014-09-24 20:47

    thanks for the help!, I have heard that the final drives make the difference between scrap metal and an excavator, before I put any hours on it I will drain them also.

  4. #4mudhole2014-10-05 09:33

    I inspected final drive oil for metal and when I dip my finger in it I could see a spec or 2 of what appears to be metal, smaller than a grain of sand, you stated I should flush if I find metal, what are the steps for this? also the only gl-4 90 wt gear oil I could find was at a carquest(no case dealer close bye)...is there a difference or just as long as it meets the gl-4 specs I should be good?, I found a LOT of gl-5 but read that it is not backwards compatible.

  5. #5clintm2014-10-05 09:52

    I would probably try and flush it with some clean diesel fuel then fill it back up with gear oil pretty quick you don't want to let the seal swell up.the problem is that theres not very much oil in there and it is overworked and no filter to get the wear parts out. the diesel fuel is thin enough to flow easy and flush out the small pieces may use a small pump or air siphon sprayer. I don't know about the compatabilty of the oil's I have to study them like you are doing.

  6. #6mudhole2014-10-05 21:09

    ya, the manual says there are only 5 quarts per side to fill it!!!,... it worries me using diesel fuel to flush, i might just buy a 5 gallon bucket and change it twice after putting some hours on it.