Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hitachi 200

Huband1 ยท 2014-09-19 02:14

I am looking at a number of machines, hopefully this weekend. I am looking for a machine to put on a 2-1/2 acre property I have just bought, tree pushovers, stump removal, excavate for house etc. I have been recommended by a friend of mine who is in site prep business to buy a 200 size machine for this work. There are some local machines, that seem to be in reasonably good shape, a '98 Hitachi EX200-5 with 12,000 hours, a '95 EX200-3 with 13,000 hours and someone in Van has a '89 EX200-1 with apparently low hours in very good condition. Are there significant differences or issues with these machines? I will also be looking at a 2001 zx200LC which has I think 10,000 hours and is more money, as well as a 2001 zx 120 with very low hours - 2800 hrs. Are there compelling reasons to stay away from any of these machines? I am totally new to this heavy equipment game and am busy ready forum posts and trying to educate myself. I will certainly have either a mechanic or a knowledgeable person come with me before I write any cheques. Alan

Replies7
  1. #1cutting edge2014-09-19 08:41

    stay away from the -1 and -3 machines ,they both likely have or will have electrical/computer issues and the 120 is likely too small. Personally i'd lean towards the -5 or the zx,depending on price of course

  2. #2Huband12014-09-19 15:07

    Thanks for the reply cutting edge. I have a number of machines to look at tomorrow. Apparently the -1 is low hours in good condition with 3 buckets too...... and he is looking for $10,000. Old guy looking to get out of the business. The 2001 zx 200 is asking $42,000. I would assume the machines just get better and better the newer the series. I am looking forward to tomorrow to see the condition of the various machines.

  3. #3spitzair2014-09-20 21:05

    In my opinion (for what it's worth) I don't think a good low hour -1 is anything to be afraid of, as far as I know they aren't computer controlled like the -2 and later machines. And for 10 grand you could hardly go wrong!

  4. #4Huband12014-09-20 21:38

    Just got back from a long day driving around Vancouver looking at machines. The zx200 appeared in good condition (could not run it - no key- only able to do visual inspection), about 10,600 hours. The 98 ex200-5 also seemed well maintained, a few more hours 11,400. I also looked at the older 200-1, seemed like a very solid machine, but the old guy is asking 23K not 10K. If both the EX200-5 and the zx200 are similar in hours and condition, which would be a better bet as far as reliability, or is it a crap shoot anyway? The ex-5 does have the fancy hydraulic cylinder quick change rather than the manual quick change. Thoughts. Alan

  5. #5one6pk2go2014-09-20 22:12

    yes 200-1 is probably the least problematic no computer do your work than sell it and get your money back

  6. #6Huband12014-09-20 22:17

    Aha, are you certain there is no computer to go wonky in the dash 1? It seemed a pretty solid machine, heavy plating underneath, 2 clean up and 1 dig bucket. Does $23k not seem a bit high for an older machine? I was thinking along the lines of a $15k offer.

  7. #7dieseldog5.92014-09-21 08:12

    I'm not in Vancouver but a 200 size machine is a big machine for a 2.5 acre lot. Most of the contractors I deal with run 120-3 hitatchi's. Or 315 cats, because they are easier to move on a tag trailer. Your concern in buying a machine is centered around machine make and size. I would start with budget, and that will give you a window of machines to look at. I also would stick with a name brand, and one that has support close or some one well versed in that model. I also would stay away from zero swing machines as they are a nightmare to get parts for and work on, My experience with hitatchi parts is they come with a premium cost, and some times unavailable. Also smaller machine smaller mess, I am not an operator, I am a mechanic and own a cat E70B, there is more to site prep than moving dirt around, I figured a smaller machine meant I would have less mess when I figured I had done something wrong.