Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Flush Motors

hotrod45 ยท 2023-10-19 23:25

I have a T190 bobcat and am wondering if the drive motor gear oil cavity can be flushed before filling with new oil? I am servicing them but no oil came out of either motor. Could I put in gear oil, run the motors for a bit and then drain and refill? Also the motor drain and fill plug on the left side of the machine are oriented horizontally instead of vertically so how can it be drained? Could brake clean be sprayed into the motors and then a air blow gun be used to blow the fluid out? Thanks for any reply.

Replies8
  1. #1Vetech632023-10-20 07:39

    Are you doing something different per each side? Gear oil cavity would be the planetary side of the final drive. A motor drain plug would be on the hydraulic side............providing it even has one.

  2. #2hotrod452023-10-20 09:57

    I meant the gear oil cavity. Can it be flushed with brake clean and blown out. Also why are the left side gear oil cavity plugs oriented horizontally instead of vertically? How can they be drained that way?

  3. #3Nige2023-10-20 10:06

    Try posting a photo of what you're looking at. TBH I'd flush it with diesel. Run it for a couple of minutes and drain. If you can block it up so that the machine does not move while you rotate the finals so much the better. Keep doing that until what you drain is clean, then refill to level with the recommended oil.

  4. #4hotrod452023-10-20 18:06

    I mean the drain and fill plug holes on the machines left side are oriented in the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position. It cannot drain as the holes are sideways positioned. Half the final drive gear oil case would always remain full as there is no way for it to drain out.

  5. #5Vetech632023-10-20 20:28

    Post a pic cause that doesn't make sense. If your doing the planetary, movement of that track should move the position. You will have to maneuver the track to get the hub in the proper position.

  6. #6ozarkag2023-10-20 20:50

    It's a T190 Bobcat so the outer bearing, (there is no gearbox) drain and fill holes are on the motor body, behind the sprocket. You have to remove the track and sprocket to change the oil. No way to check. On the sideways one, try using diesel as suggested and running the drive than blowing out. Dont be surprised if the main seal leaks when you fill with fluid again. I probably wouldn't panic, as those drives can go a long time with no oil, again its just a low speed roller bearing in there. I know of several those that are grease packed, and still going. Entirely different than the planetary reduction drives.

  7. #7hotrod452023-10-20 21:17

    OK thanks. I'm guessing that since the left side can only be 1/2 filled that will be enough? Thanks for everyone's input. It is much appreciated.

  8. #8ozarkag2023-10-20 21:22

    Yes, half is ever so much better than none.