Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Foam filled tires with over the tire tracks

Bobcatdan ยท 2012-10-30 19:04

I have seen plenty of guys do this and have just as many swear aganist. I would like to get some opinions on it since I get asked the very same thing pretty offten. Along the same line, does anybody run soild tires like a twin flex with tracks? I have no idea if that is a good idea either.

Replies16
  1. #1Jim Dandy2012-10-30 19:45

    I run Loegering metal over the tire tracks on foam filled tires and they probably have 200 hours on them and no problems so far. The OTTs have made the machine so much more productive. I don't think the tracks make it ride rougher than the tires when in dirt and mud. On pavement the tracks definetly make it rougher and shakes the machine pretty good.

  2. #2crewchief8882012-11-02 20:42

    earlier s250 & 300's had a bad habit of breaking rear drive chains with foam fills & tracks. they do have some heavier chains in them now, but i personally wouldnt do it. unless bobcat (corporate) changed their "stand" on the problem, they didnt recomend it, and wouldnt warranty broken drive chains... :drinkup

  3. #3tmc_312012-11-03 10:31

    Hey guys, I recently bought a new set of tires for my L190. Had them filled with foam for $980.00. I've been grubbing mesquite and mowing pastures with lots of small mesquite trees, no flats . I have not found the foam filled tires to be much rougher than air filled tires but I have more traction and the skid is more stable on slopes. I have noticed that when operating on pavement, sharp turns are much more difficult because of the increased traction. I am planning to purchase a new set of ott tracks for the machine. Yes, I am worried about breaking an axle or two but I think the result will be worth the risk. I had a LX565 with ott tracks over air filled tires, they were great for traction and getting around in the mud, but trying to fix a flat was a real pain. The tracks on the LX565 were Mclarens, this time I am going to try the Affordable tracks. The price difference is significant. Since I only use the tracks when needed (otherwise I leave them off the machine), I am hoping they hold up well. Tim

  4. #4gwiley2012-11-05 09:53

    I run Loegering metal tracks over foam filled tires on my 773 and absolutely love it. The weight of the tracks and tires together make the machine rock solid for uprooting trees and handling heavy tree trunks with a grapple. I have noticed that the tires slip some inside the tracks when I get into really slimy virginia clay - probably time to tighten the tracks.

  5. #5TriHonu2012-11-18 22:52

    FYI - From the Loegering Trail Blazers Owners Manual page 3, "Trail Blazers are not recommended on solid rubber, foam-filled, segmented, aircraft, and some styles of tires (call Loegering)." Same statement in Z-Series manual.

  6. #6gwiley2012-11-19 09:15

    I saw that in the owners manual for the tracks. They were on the machine when I originally bought it and it runs so well I just ignored the warning Does anyone know what the concern is with running OTT on foam filled tires? I have had to fix flats in the field and it sucks raw eggs - I really can't imagine going back to air filled tires on the skid steers after running these foam filled ones.

  7. #7Digdeep2012-11-19 12:20

    Potential damage to axles, axle bearings and chain case depending on model. The old Case 1800 series were great machines, but they were the most at risk that experience damage.

  8. #8gwiley2012-11-19 13:49

    I see. I have a Bobcat 773G - is that machine vulnerable?

  9. #9crewchief8882012-11-19 14:31

    bobcat doesnt recommend it. i've seen guys use OTT tracks with foam fills when they are needed. just something to think about, a 10/16.5 foam fill weighs 250 + (?) lbs, plus the weight of the track thats a lot of weight hanging out there..... :drinkup

  10. #10gwiley2012-11-19 14:42

    That is true - I can really feel it when I am uprooting large trees with the stump bucket - the tires and tracks practically glue the machine to the ground. I am going to need to meditate on this, it is so nice to have OTT I hate the idea of running without them.

  11. #11Bobcatdan2012-11-19 19:43

    The number one plase I see problems are early 873. They have the same axle shaft diameter as a 700 series and will snap right off. I have one customer I change rear axleshaft about every year and half. Newer 873 had larger shafts and I never saw problems with them. Well see how track manufactors don't recomand I will do the same.

  12. #12TriHonu2012-11-20 00:31

    In addition to the information presented, you need to consider what happens when a rock or debris get on the tracks and try to wedge themselves between the tire and the tracks. It does not take much to remove the little bit of slack in the tracks. With air filled tires, the tire can give or blowout if the debris are too large. With solid or filled tires, either the track has to break or axle/axle tubes have to give. If the tire can't flex, the tracks will be put under additional stress which can cause them to wear out more quickly or just fail. With over the tire rubber tracks, it is recommended to remove the front drive chains to keep from wearing out the chains and sprockets. With the rubber tracks under tension around the tires, you have to be especially careful to keep the debris out of the tracks. With no spaces in the tracks to let anything out you can cause damage to the tracks or machine fairly quickly.

  13. #13crewchief8882012-11-20 15:35

    early s250's had drive chain issues as well. we changed rear chains on one customers machine 4 times in 3 weeks along with every other s250 that was running steel tracks, some with air filled tires eventually we got our hands on a set of "experimental/prototype chains that solved the problem. :drinkup

  14. #14traxter2012-12-20 15:30

    If you are running OTT's with non-directional tire tread, you can get tire slippage inside the tracks really easy

  15. #15Jbullfrog2012-12-23 14:29

    The tension of the tracks around the tires is opposite the tension of the drive chains and final drives. The final drives move out to tighten the drive chains and the track pulls in on them. The other issue is the drive chains can actually be pulled from both ends if one is loose and the other not. chains and belts are intended to be pulled from one end or the other, not both. I remember removing the front drive chains on 1845C machines for OTT use. This made them drive from the rear only and then the front axle was an idler.

  16. #16JCSI2012-12-30 18:26

    We have a '07 S185 Bobcat with 2300 Hrs on it that has steel tracks over the factory gel filled tires. We went with the gel because it has more cushion than the foam. Had one broken chain and we wore out the first set of tracks because we have non directional tires. It still works great but maybe thats why we haven't broke more chains the tires slip more. Wouldn't have a machine without them.