Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Folding Ramp Project

Metalman 55 ยท 2017-03-18 14:43

This is a folding ramp project that I helped my nephew with, which is installed on a new to him flatbed truck that he plans to use to move his bobcat CTL & Mini Excavator around with. He had a smaller flatbed truck used similarly, but with just some steel pullout ramps that hooked over the back (& much harder on his back!). I made the drawing for him & our shop cut all the hss & plate work for the project & also we had a local cutting shop plasma cut the profile plates & he did all the fabricating & welding. The power unit is 12V DC which runs the hydraulic fold system. This morning we did some finish welding on some tight spots with stick welding as he only has a mig & could not reach in the narrow places. We used my old 941 Loader to assist with the final assembly after the welding was completed.

Replies11
  1. #1Metalman 552017-03-18 14:46

    Few more pics.......

  2. #2DMiller2017-03-19 12:04

    I like it! Would have considered a pivot point to keep the ramps somewhat folded out when lowering or possibly a shallow spring load to kick them a bit open as lower. At this point could add a small kicker lever off the hydraulics to do just that and save some back/extra body time but hell, Looks Great!!

  3. #3Welder Dave2017-03-19 13:10

    Do you have a safety pin or chain to prevent the ramps from falling in the event of a hyd. problem? It would also take the load off the extended cylinder.

  4. #4DMiller2017-03-19 14:50

    I can hear it already, Damn armchair Quarterbacks!!!

  5. #5Metalman 552017-03-19 19:06

    Yesterday was the maiden voyage for the new ramp system. More changes for helping the "unfold process" are unfolding!! Also a lock system for the holding the ramps in the folded up position are being worked on as we speak.................stay tuned!!

  6. #6Metalman 552017-03-20 17:05

    Here we are again after a few more refinements have been made. He will find a way to attach & support the chains which aid the lowering in a more permanent manner.......all a process of working the bugs out of the system. He just has some painting to do & its off to work again!

  7. #7f311fr12017-03-20 21:59

    I like it

  8. #8crane operator2017-03-20 22:29

    The fold down chains really help, I was wondering after the first video how you were going to kick those out- looks good.

  9. #9DMiller2017-03-21 10:28

    I am taking notes!!

  10. #10Metalman 552017-03-21 17:05

    Don't tell me that you are thinking about putting a truck on the road to move that 7G around now are you?? I have the plans here for you if you decide too!!

  11. #11DMiller2017-03-21 19:19

    NOT Hardly!!,, I have been on a side shift in a crawler with slick shoes on steel ramps, NOT Fun!! Would look and work nice on a low boy to get the height down at the rear though! Would be a wee bit shorter.