Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 4500 backhoe extend a hoe

EthanJTWade ยท 2021-04-11 12:11

Hopefully someone may be a little smarter than me,. I have a 1970 ford 4500 bought 6 years ago and have been fixing it up as it breaks down on me. ( I did search the forums and Google a ton in hopes of finding info with no luck of finding what I need) The extend a hoe cylinder is leaking and I'm trying to find out what seals I need for it before I tear it apart ( it currently still works and dont want to loose the use of the backhoe atm) as well Im trying to find out what sort of Wear guides I need to tighten things up as well as bushings and anything else I can fix up on it. The backhoe name plate says it's a 19-561, but I can't seem to see any parts break downs showing the extend a hoe section. I also have a rotary swing cylinder on this ( from my understanding it wasn't common in Canada) I found a seal kit for it does anyone have experience with re sealing them? Pictures or guides? So far I've been able to just figures things out and torch/ reweld things that have broken but I'm now in need of some help/guidance.

Replies19
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-04-11 13:33

    Here is a link to the on-line parts book. Go down the list to TLB. That will show your 4500. I don't know which backhoe you have on it but it will be in that list. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/newhollandce/light-equipment/loader-backhoes/cn/NA_F_S_49_LOA

  2. #2stinky642021-04-11 13:48

    Ethan, look on youtube for the Watch Wes Work channel he recently rebuilt a rotary swing assy. on an old Massey hoe, not the same machine but probably same process, pretty straight forward and informative.. may give you some insight as to what you're looking at...

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-04-11 15:06
  4. #4stinky642021-04-11 18:54

    Thanks Tinkerer, I figured that video might shed some light..One of these days I need to learn how to tackle all that download/post magic..

  5. #5EthanJTWade2021-04-11 20:11

    You are my hero! I've been looking for the extend a hoe diagram forever. The diagram says it's for a 550. Years 81-85. I am under the impression this is a 1970.

  6. #6Tinkerer2021-04-11 20:26

    4500 -----> https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/n...actor/cn/ABF6724F-E6BE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6 I don't know the backhoe model you have. There should be a tag on it with some numbers on it. Something like 19-551; Hopefully Mitch504 or someone else can help. Go to the bottom of the page this link has, a TLB section is there and will show your 4500. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/newhollandce/light-equipment/loader-backhoes/cn/NA_F_S_49_LOA

  7. #7berky2021-04-12 06:55

    I don't think an extend a hoe was ever available on a 4500, but not sure if Canada may have done something special. I've never seen one at least but have owned several. They used a chain swing setup not rotary motor. I think you have a transplant

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-04-12 10:44

    And, it is a side-shift. It was 1 of 3 hoe options on the 4500 when it was new. Ford did produce/offer extend-a-hoes. This might be it. ????

  9. #9Tinkerer2021-04-12 12:33

    Disregard the parts diagram I posted. That isn't what Ethan has. The oil ports in the rotary valve are different from his. The Ford side shift backhoe is a model 752. I haven't determined how many variations of it there may be tho.

  10. #10EthanJTWade2021-04-12 15:24

    19-561 is the tag it's located on the pivot frame by the seat.

  11. #11EthanJTWade2021-04-12 15:31

    I am thinking the whole machine might be a little Frankenstein. The front loader is a 19-501 Backhoe is a 19-561. It's a 3 cyl diesel. here is a picture of what was written on the hood from before I got it.

  12. #12Tinkerer2021-04-12 21:50

    Not many Ford side-shifts show up on HEF looking for help. Actually I don't remember any at all ! The backhoe number you posted is the all important one needed to get parts. Also the same is true for the loader ! The swing cylinder could be either a Cessna or a Dowty. Here is the Cessna. ---> Go here for the entire Backhoe parts list. ----> https://messicks.com/vendor/new-holland/subs/industrial In the B Series section, at the top of the middle row is 19-561.

  13. #13EthanJTWade2021-04-12 22:33

    I purchased the seal kit for the swing cylinder. The only place I could find it was in Australia. Used the AVspare website.Pretty sure it is the Dowty version. Seems like a video of rebuilding that type doesn't exist. Might be wise to take a video when I rebuild it. What's funny is the 19-561 is the tag for what it is, but I don't have a auto dig. And that listing doesn't have a extend a hoe. Only the 75-81 550 shows it. I need to rebuild my lift cylinder so Ill look to see if both versions use the same one.

  14. #14Tinkerer2021-04-13 08:22

    Keep us updated on your progress, Eric. It will help others seeking help in the future. I would advise you to print or save everything in those parts books as soon as you can. It is quite easy to do on a pc. I don't know how to do it in a Mac or tablet. I spent a lot of time looking for that info and there is no other place I know of on the internet to find those files. If the good people at Messick's decide to quit hosting any or all of those parts books you will be scr###d.

  15. #15Swetz2021-04-13 08:44

    Funny you mention Messick's Tinkerer. This was in an email that I got from them recently. I guess they herd all the rumblings from those that were disappointed by CNH's new online lookup.

  16. #16EthanJTWade2021-10-20 10:58

    Hey guys I'm back, hopefully you all could help me a little bit more. Tons of research trying to figure this stuff out but I seem to have a hard time with it. I am looking into seal kits for the hydraulic cylinders on my front loader of my ford 4500 industrial, (D5011F). It has a 19-501 loader on it. I have found different part numbers but I'm confused on what is right. From Griffiths traders in Australia. Listed as the seal kits for a ford 4500 loader (F8026) 309984. for the lift cylinder (F8027) 309985. For the bucket cylinder On another website it shows a part number of (Messicks and AV spare) Listed 309960F. For the lift cylinder 309959F . For the bucket cylinder For a 740series loader. CNHI site doesn't list any loaders for the ford 4500? Is the 15-501 a 740series loader? The diagrams for the cylinders show two completely different internals of cylinders Any help would be appreciated so much! Cheers, Ethan Wade

  17. #17Tinkerer2021-10-21 07:52

    All you need to know should be here !

  18. #18EthanJTWade2021-10-21 10:16

    I think that is for a 19-105? Mine is a 19-501. Did the ford 4500 come with the 19-105? Sorry for my lack of understanding. I'm still quite new to tractors. With so much information it can be a little confusing to me. I appreciate your patience with me!

  19. #19Tinkerer2021-10-21 11:03

    Oops ! I had the numbers backwards. It seems that model loader was on the 740's also. https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/n...111-9FCE-005056875BD6&isSnFilterEnabled=false