Hi, I have a ford 4500 tractor with loader. It works fine for a while, recently when I tried to life a full bucket of dirt in the morning the machine stops (kinda of choked?). Since then I can not start it again. I checked that battery and starting motor(solenoid) all works fine. When I put a fully charged battery in, I heard a big bang or knock, but engine won't run. I am not sure what to do now and I ask for any advice and suggestion on diagnosis. So I think there must something bad happened during my run when it stopped after a full load. Will hydraulic pump stucked/seized? Thanks, Myles.
I wouldn't think it did any serious damage to the hydraulic pump or the engine, but you never know? I'd start with checking to see if the engine turns over by hand, grab the belt and inch it over slowly a little bit at a time, and see if it will turn 360 degrees. Where's the hydraulic pump on this? inspect the pump drive if you can see it. Check the engine oil? coolant?
Hydraulic pump drives off the crank at the front
I agree with the lube checks, power steering pump oil. I have seen the hyd pump u-joint fail in the drive shaft allowing it to turn sideways and lock the engine up. Like Delmer said if it will not turn over you are going to have to do some homework, first lubes, then try to rock it some, if it can not be rocked, unhook the drive shaft to the pump, check, then the power steering pump, check, pull the valve cover and check for bent push rods or damaged / dropped valves and so on. Does your machine have a backhoe or a 3 point hitch ?. You should be able to pull the grill and get a fare look at the hyd pump drive shaft also. Knowing if the engine spins over would help to give you more thoughts on finding your problem.
Thanks Sheepfoot, mitch, and Delmer. I will test as you all suggested to narrow down the potential problem. Thanks all again.