Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tire size options.

havokeachday ยท 2014-01-22 18:48

Hello, I have a 2WD JCB 1550B. The manual says it came with either 16.9x24 12Ply tires or 18.4x24 10 or 12ply tires. It current has an 18.4x24 8ply tire and an 18.4x24 10 ply tire. Both are bald and are embarassingly easy to get stuck. I am looking at replacing them with something that offers more traction, I was wondering if the following tire sizes would work as well. The 18.4x24 is especially hard to find. 17.5Lx24 19.5Lx24 Also, what about narrower tires than a 16.9x24, what would be the down side besides potential easy of sinking? The soil I have to deal with mostly is hard and very slick when wet, the current tires don't get much grip because of that.

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2014-01-22 19:34

    I just did a quick Google search. There are a few available. Here is a link for two tires / $1500.00 shipping included. http://www.ebay.com/itm/18-4-24-12p...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item3388944857 Be cautious of going to a 19.5L, you may have clearance problems with the frame and or fenders.

  2. #2leisureexpress2014-01-22 21:00

    Here is another seller on ebay (thanks to another HEF member) that may be worth checking out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/17-5L-24-R-...=BI_Heavy_Equipment_Parts&hash=item20de464336

  3. #3frogfarmer2014-01-23 14:17

    I would lean toward 17.5L24 they should be plenty for that machine. The 19.5L24 are a fair amount larger and require different offset of the wheels in most cases. I wouldn't go more narrow for my machine and the ground I have but your situation may be different and again you may need different wheels. Have you considered chains for your current tires? Chains make a world of difference on worn tires and you can make up a set for less than the cost of a tire.

  4. #4havokeachday2014-01-23 20:44

    Thanks, I do have a set of chains that I made myself. I still need to work out some of the kinks with them though =)