Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

ford 4500 steering problems

shopteacher 1 ยท 2011-05-15 14:41

I have two issues: 1. when turning, I have power steering in one direction but not the other :Banghead:Banghead. I know this is most likely an adjustment. Does anyone know how to do this? 2. When lifting a heavy load (3000 lbs) with the front bucket I can not steer. I have to set down the load and turn the wheels, and pick it back up. Is this normal with this tractor. I have a 1973 ford 4500 backhoe. John

Replies1
  1. #1mitch5042011-05-15 17:07

    I sent you a PM, and will email you the control valve adjusting instructions. A 4500 should turn it's wheels with any load, and once the valve is adjusted, and if your anchor pin is tight, your steering pressure is probably low. I can't remember what the pressure should be, but I could look it up for you, when I get back to the shop. Do you have the pump that draws from the main hyd. tank? If so, the small strainer in the tank may be clogged. MOre likely, the relief valve in your pump is probably weaK. I have taken a little piece, maybe an 1/8" thick, off of a 1/4" bolt and used it to space up the spring to raise the pressure. You have to install a guage on the line and keep trying different thicknesses of spacer until you get it right. If I remember right, Ford sold different thickness spacers for this.