finish painting my 580sl about 6 weeks ago but this is the 1st pic i had a chance to take, kinda wish i took before, during and after shots :usa here she is loaded and ready for the am:cool2
abit closer
Nice lookin setup! I like the grey on the truck and trailer! Nice lookin tractor too! Wish I had chrome wheels!
Nice hoe truck and trailer. A man who takes care of his equipment , that's great. Thanks for the pics.
thanks,,, i work on and run my stuff so I try to keep it running and looking good
Looks nice! what year are the truck and tractor?
1995 for the 580 1998 for the fl80
Very nice setup!
Nice gig!Very clean.
Looks very good! If you dont mind me asking, how much did you end up spending on the paint, and the decals? Did you have it done, or spray it yourself? Inside or outside? Ive been looking to repaint my SK as well, so Im just fishing for a little info on how-to's!
no to the inside, it was fine other then replacing the seat assy and one interior panel, while i was there i did a good cleaning and some small rust preventative areas under the floor mat,, i think the paint was around 200 with thinner, tape , metal prep, abrasives etc. i did it in my shop , it was very time consuming, I pretty much took everything off that i could to prep and spray, the larger areas i taped and shot which is quicker but less detailed and harder to prep . the decals were abit more then i wanted to spend but it makes the job complete and i used later moder ones which look much better, go for it, it is a task but worth it if you plan on keeping or selling the machine just take your time and prep well, did i say time and prep well?
I have a JD 310D that I plan on painting all the yellow in the fall. I repaired and painted the cab last fall. What did you do with all the grease? Did you sand the old paint and did you sand blast anything? I was planing on priming with epoxy primer for a tougher job. I painted the cab with black epoxy primer and clear coat over the primer for a shine and UV protection. Thanks
did a degrease before the start, then each area i was working on i did an localized degrease, then used a reducer to wipe clean, then sand, then metal prep/ cleaner then scuff pads and another wipe with pre cleaner, any bare metal showing i primed , scuffed and precleaned before color,, single stage case color code,, my machine was in very good shape no major rust, sand blasting was not needed , mostly fade issues for me so a new topcoat and decals were all that i though was needed, i didn't do areas that were unnecessary like under the stabilizers and the buckets front axle rims etc. , just the tractor, cab, loader, and boom and stick
ctkiteboarding, Thanks for the detailed explanation. Sounds like you did a fine job. One more question. What product did you use for degreasing?
Prior to painting my 680 I used a Hotsy brand steam cleaner. Then I prepped it same as ctkiteboarding. For a final wash before masking everything I used lacquer thinner.
same on the degreaser power washer but the hotsy is much better
prep is the biggest thing when painting one thing i had a quetion on is after your scraping sandding and all that did you steam clean again then wash down with the metal prep(lacquer thinner) or just wipe it with the thinner with out washing down?
i soap and washed all parts i could before the metal prep primer/ paint , pretty much did the most cleaning decreasing prep i could do and still there are small areas that i can see but that biring said it is a 16yr old backhoe so its no show car lol it looks good but im sure it will be a sand blasting job on the next refurb
Looks good to me. My 98 580SL is in great shape but could benefit from a paint job like that. We'll see how the year goes. Let me know if you want to practice on another one.
lol steve , im good thanks ,, the 550g is sitting in the shop looking faded and screaming to be next, that will be a job as well but is going to have to wait till winter thou
After I had mine all sanded and also lots of power wire brushing I put the tractor hoist as high as it would go . Then I started at the top and went down with the lacquer thinner. I didn't want so much as a drop of water near it before painting it. I wasn't out to make it look new. I just wanted a machine that I don't have to hide behind when someone asks who painted it ! The cost of the correct decals literally gave me sticker shock when I bought them.
yes the water is almost as bad as grease, only parts i disassembled got soap and water , the pre-paint was thinner then scuff, then prep ,then a heated area which was my shop with the heat on blast, then spray, i even used a heat gun to pre heat the area to be sprayed and baked the area between coats , this was mostly because it was butt ass cold this winter , it worked well