Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

FORD 455C BACKHOE

kwilly2012 · 2023-08-01 00:45

I recently bought a 1992 ford 455c backhoe 2wd its a good machine for 30 years old. i have done alot of clearing around the land with it a couple of days ago the left front ball joint came out of the socket i was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on fixing it or is it even fixable? thank you

Replies22
  1. #1Swetz2023-08-01 06:58

    Looking at the diagram below, which part came apart. Was it #28 or # 38?

  2. #2kwilly20122023-08-01 07:43

    Number 38 I have it out of the backhoe now I don’t know if the end of #8 screws out. And I still have no luck finding one. I am wondering if there is anyway to rig that up if I can’t find one. Or maybe try to find one close enough to make it work.

  3. #3Dave Neubert2023-08-01 07:44

    Are you talking tie rod end ?

  4. #4kwilly20122023-08-01 07:45

    Yes sir the putter tie rod end

  5. #5Dave Neubert2023-08-01 07:47

    Should be no problem getting that found on Ebay 139.00

  6. #6Swetz2023-08-01 07:56

    Any chance you have a link? As you can see below, NH wants to sell the inner, sleeve, and outer as an assembly, and it AINT cheap!!

  7. #7Swetz2023-08-01 08:45

    Dave's comment sent me to Ebay. I found a bunch to choose from. I think you need to measure up what you have and compare. They show at least 2 styles; 1 with a threaded male end, and one with female threads. Some also listed as left or right side specific. If in doubt, question the seller. Below are just 2 types that I found. CAR87031 RH Tie Rod End fits Ford New Holland 445D 450 455 455C 455D 4600No | eBay CAR87031: Tie Rod. Part(s) Included CAR87031: Tie Rod (x1). 250C, 260C, 345C, 345D, 445, 445A, 445C, 445D, 450, 455, 455C, 455D, 4600No, 4600O, 4600Su, 545, 545A, 545C, 545D, 550, 555, 555A, 555B, 555C, 555D, 575D, 655, 655A, 655C, 655D, 675D. www.ebay.com Tie Rod End fits Ford 455C 555C 555D 655C 655D 555 555B 655 655A 555 8163575 | eBay Compatible with Ford Backhoe Loader(s) 455C (11/88-later), 455D (11/88-later), 555 (1/88-10/88), 555B (1/88-10/88), 555C (11/88-later), 555D (11/88-later), 575D (11/88-later), 655A (1/88-10/88), 655C (11/88-later), 655D (11/88-later), 675D (11/88-later). www.ebay.com

  8. #8kwilly20122023-08-01 16:15

    Yeah those two are not the right ones I bought one from the local tractor place and this is what it looked like. Like it would fit on a lawn mower lol that nut is a 1 7/16 on the top.

  9. #9Dave Neubert2023-08-01 16:49

    I searched e7nn3280ea and it came up under $200.00

  10. #10kwilly20122023-08-01 17:50

    We’re did you search that at?

  11. #11Swetz2023-08-01 18:05

    I just looked at your last pic again. The outer tie rod it crimped to the tube...in other words, it cannot be separated. Additionally, I see that the boot on the inner joint is bad, and looks as if it has been bad for a while. That stated, if you can score the correct assembly for less than $200, I would go for it. I am not seeing it when I google it. I do get E7NN3280DA for around $200, but that is DA, not EA. Maybe the same, don't know. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B1L2TRC?tracking_id=cbc19997e4773cf5c844d652f1594115

  12. #12Swetz2023-08-01 18:20

    Here are some specs on the DA. Maybe it would fit as well. Part # 83961705, E7NN3280DA Description:​ Ford / New Holland Backhoe Tie Rod Assembly with Swivel Joint Fits Two Wheel Drive Machines Fits Ford 555C, 555D, 575D, 655C, 655D, 675D Fits NH 555E, 575E, 655E, 675E * ALL BEFORE SERIAL # 31008658 Inner ball joint has M28 X 1.5 RH thread on one end (long) & M22 X 1.5 RH thread on the other (short) Outer ball joint has M28 X 1.5 RH thread in the female tube & the stud has M24 X1.5 thread 10" Center to End 1.5" Diameter 20 1/16" Length Fits Right or Left Hand Side

  13. #13kwilly20122023-08-01 19:59

    what is the da? And we’re did you find this I wouldn’t mind paying for it I just can’t find it no where lol

  14. #14Swetz2023-08-02 06:26

    The specs I posted were DA. Here is the link to where I saw the part. Tie Rod End fits Ford 655D 555E 675D 655C 575D 555D 675E 555C 655E 575E 83961705 fits New Holland 83961705 E7NN3280DA Tie Rod End, Ball Joint, Drag Link for Ford Construction & Industrial(s) 555C, 555D, 555E, 575D, 575E, 655C, 655D, 655E, 675D, 675E. Replaces Ford OEM nos 83961705, E7NN3280DA, Replaces New Holland OEM nos 83961705, E7NN3280DA. www.tractorpartsasap.com

  15. #15kwilly20122023-08-02 08:30

    See the only thing that worries me is that’s nut on the bolt the one that came off of it was a slotted nut with a carter key

  16. #16Swetz2023-08-02 08:41

    Almost all steering systems have stopped using the castellated nut and cotter pin setup in favor of the elastic stop nut. I would be more concerned about the overall length of the new tie rod vs what you have, as well as the thread size and pitch on the inner joint, and the stud size and taper on the outer joint. Would be nice if there was a local place you could go the actually match the 2 up. Or, maybe purchase on Amazon so you can return, no problem if it isn't correct for you.

  17. #17HarleyHappy2023-08-02 10:55

    Amazon and a caliper are your friend, along with a part# or machine make. Thousands of people have the same thing. Think ones for my Case were so cheap I replaced them both.

  18. #18Dave Neubert2023-08-02 14:17

    I wont matter it wont come off

  19. #19edgephoto2023-08-02 19:37

    One of those Carter keys, huh? As was said before a lock nut is what you will find now. Cheaper to produce and less labor to install on the assembly line.

  20. #20kwilly20122023-08-02 19:41

    appericate all advice guys i am going to buy one off the ol amazon and see if it will work. if yall see me asking ignorant questions on here just lol i am fairly new to the backhoe world.

  21. #21Swetz2023-08-02 19:44

    No worries, we all try to help each other here. We prolly asked silly questions at one time, but learned from the members here...great place to learn and help others!!

  22. #22edgephoto2023-08-02 19:45

    This place is a wealth of knowledge and experience. Ask away.