Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 545A Bucket won’t curl back/up

Cat977 ยท 2021-02-07 10:09

Parked it with a rather long plowing attachment in full dump. Couple days latter it only curls back a little. Deep temperature drop since it was parked. Seems like a total lock out when trying to pull the lever inwards. Any ideas much appreciated! ser.# C779433 mod. DD411B Hyd. Lift 7L30D

Replies22
  1. #1Delmer2021-02-07 12:00

    By "total lock out" do you mean the lever feels like it can't move the valve as far as it used to? And is that direction pushing the valve spool into the block? then take the cover off the bottom and remove the oil or water that's in there.

  2. #2Swetz2021-02-07 12:27

    Bucket leveling system that is malfunctioning, possible from ice?

  3. #3Cat9772021-02-07 13:21

    The lever defiantly feels like it can't move the valve as far as it used to, by quite a lot. My machine has a cab on it and the rods from the bucket leveling system or return to dig system are buried in the front cab reinforcement. From the inside it looks a piece of that linkage just stops me from pulling in. With the cab in the way I could not see where the joystick actuators led to, it was dark. I assume the valve spool and block are mounted under the cab. Due you think I can access the bottom cover of the block from under the cab? Do I have to worry about spilling a lot of oil? The tractor is outside for now. I'll bring it in tomorrow to work on.

  4. #4Welder Dave2021-02-07 14:10

    Sure sounds like it's frozen. One of the stabilizers on my backhoe does that when it's quite cold out. I don't know if it's condensation or something else as there is no water in the system but after letting the machine warm up, the oil warms the valve and it works fine. If you have an electric heater, put it in the cab.

  5. #5Delmer2021-02-07 14:42

    Check out the bucket leveling linkage first, I forgot all about that. If that linkage is loose or not in the way, then take off the valve cap on the bottom of the spool, there shouldn't be any oil in there, but if it's blocked, then it will be because that cap is full of oil or water. If it's oil, then the o ring is leaking, easy enough to change usually.

  6. #6Cat9772021-02-08 18:13

    Paid my stupid tax on this one. Left the dome light on in sub 0 F. The battery seemed ok after a warm up and charge. I never used the return to dig. Well it was stuck. All free now and backed to nice plowed drive way! Thanks Delmer, Swetz, and Dave!

  7. #7stinky642021-02-09 01:01

    Stupid tax is much cheaper than parts and labor..Chalk this one up to a "learning experience"

  8. #8Welder Dave2021-02-09 01:03

    How did you discover what was wrong and how did you fix it?

  9. #9Welder Dave2021-02-09 11:00

    So was it frozen or did you force it, etc.? Give a little more details.

  10. #10Cat9772021-02-09 11:24

    From inside the cab it looked and and felt that the piece to the inside left of the joystick was solid. After getting some ideas from you guys I went to pushing and pulling on the returned to dig rods. Well low and behold the long rod closest to the cab is not solid. With 36 years of rust the tube over rod system got stuck enough to prevent the the joystick from moving to the left.

  11. #11Tinkerer2021-02-09 11:41

    No matter what brand the machine is, the return to dig tube and rod assembly should be a cleaned and lubed on a regular basis due to the water intrusion it is subjected to.

  12. #12Cat9772021-02-09 13:21

    Thankfully as Stinky64 reminded me this time the stupid tax so far has has only cost me time not $ . All I did was pull the tube back and forth by hand easy peasy. Wisconsin seems to have fallen into a polar vortex of some kind. -15 f this week and more snow on the ground now then anytime in the 22 years we've been out here. When things warm up taking apart the rod and tube a scrub up with scotch bright and some dry lube should put things right. Thanks to all!

  13. #13Welder Dave2021-02-09 13:49

    It's about -40 here with the wind chill.

  14. #14Cat9772021-02-09 19:19

    I'm in the tropical southern Wisconsin lol.

  15. #15Swetz2021-02-14 09:16

    Hey cat 977, My tractor is parked outside, and I went to use it this weekend, and it too had the bucket curl problem. broke the ice off the bucket leveling rods and it was good to go...I hate to have the machine outdoors!! A lot of guys pull the rods off and manually level the bucket, but I kinda like the feature.

  16. #16Cat9772021-02-14 10:23

    Hi Swetz You're advice was spot on about the bucket leveling device being the cause. I think the PO disconnected it. I don't use the bucket much, plowing snow, using a brush grapple, pallet forks and general getting around on the 20 ac. Saw that storm heading your way up to a 1/2" of ice. Probably a real tree killer in some placers Ill bet. Yea all my machines out side too, sucks. I would like to treat them to a out building. If wishes were kisses I'd have a face full lipstick. Best of Luck Swetz

  17. #17Swetz2021-02-14 10:25

    LOL...and on Valentines day no less

  18. #18Cat9772021-02-14 10:47

    I was hoping you find it funny! LOL

  19. #19Cat9772021-03-11 20:28

    Hey Swetz! I've bin wiping smudges off my face ever since I put these studded chains on. Now I want a dozer blade! Best of Luck

  20. #20Swetz2021-03-11 20:42

    cat977, That is one bad *** tractor...clean, clean clean! Love the cab! Thanks for the post and pic...tractor looks unstoppable!!

  21. #21Cat9772021-03-11 21:56

    Got er dun just before The :Big Snow! Had Really Left. I had 1/4 mile of hilly driveway to practice grade on as the frost was coming out. Ok silt removal. Uphill, downhill, ice, mud, as long as the plow blade and 3 tires had contact with the ground we were good to go. Crazy man can't stop there. So hey let's head out on the unbroken snow headed up into the 30' pines. There, Will go there! Great test! That'll be a Great! Test! Really Great Test! The snow in the valley was say 3' had melted down to 2'. So I started in the open say 1'+ headed into an uphill grade for the deep stuff, And go Fast, Really Fast!(good I have the grill covered with solid sheet metal). Man it was really going great! I can't say how much was smart, stupid, or plain scared. I was going good stopped on my own, not stuck. So I started backing up Gona do a Big Y turn, into a hill on my left with a hefty bit of speed, No I mean a Lot of Speed! Well I couldn't climb out of my own rut's. LOL! A good thing I had all that speed, needed all that speed! Enough to get me back into My Own Ruts! Then proceeded back all the way home in a :Brown Pair of Pants!

  22. #22Swetz2021-03-12 06:29

    LOL