Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555e wiper switch

Toxic ยท 2021-02-07 04:40

Everything on my backhoe works fine except this damn front wiper switch. Even the rear wiper works...When i first got the machine it would work most of the time..then only once in a while..now i have nothing..it is not fun plowing snow when it is lightly raining..lol..i guess my question is it posiable to take the switch off and clean contacts? that switch that has the wiper control also is my turn signals..which both work fine..the wiper is controlled by a twist on/off..i have found the shuttle lever side for sale but not this side. thanks

Replies10
  1. #1heymccall2021-02-07 05:04

    85801939

  2. #2Swetz2021-02-07 08:49

    Toxic, I have never attempted to dissemble this switch, but I can tell you, I would be testing everything prior to purchasing this switch (shunter in the old parts manual) @ damn near $300. I would even be tempted, if it is indeed the switch, to add a rocker in the front dash in one of the blank spots at that price. And, Messick's does not even have it in stock. If they do not have it, most dealers prolly will not stock it as they are a big NH dealer. Not that it cannot be had, but would take time I am sure.

  3. #3Toxic2021-02-07 10:54

    dang..that is pricey!..i would almost perfer a rocker switch..i not very good with wiring so i might have to wait for a buddy of mine to give me a hand to sort it out and figure out which wires control the wiper

  4. #4Swetz2021-02-07 13:11

    I hear you! Does the washer part of the switch still work? I looked up the switch for the rear wipers thinking that would work in the front dash. Well, as you can see below, it is expensive too (for a switch), and it has been discontinued. Funny part is that it comes up as good as a case part number?? Maybe something like this: https://www.amequipment.com/shop/rocker-switch-for-two-speed-wiper-motors At a fraction of the price! I just googled 2 speed washer switch. You will have to get the measurements to see if it will fit your blank opening. First, get your buddy to help you troubleshoot it...maybe it is something silly.

  5. #5Toxic2021-02-07 14:13

    jesus 72 bucks for a simple rocker switch is nuts..the funny part is i see some automotive style switches like i need with more functions for 22 bucks on ebay..lol...looks like i will add this repair to spring maintance..i dont want my buddy to have to work outside in the cold.. Thanks for your help Swetz!

  6. #6aighead2021-02-09 06:45

    Squeegee on the end of a curved broomstick!

  7. #7Swetz2021-02-09 07:02

    ...LOL This reminds me of the old fashioned wipers that literally had a handle in the cab that you "human powered" the wipers

  8. #8NH575E2021-02-09 09:37

    K.I.S.S. Check the fuses first.

  9. #9NH575E2021-02-09 17:10
  10. #10Toxic2021-02-10 05:25

    thanks NH575E..i will check that frist..i uave been very busy at work lately.