Hello. I purchased an old (I believe it’s a 1966) Ford 5500 backhoe. I’m planning on replacing all the hydraulic lines, the rear tires, and doing a complete fluid and filter change. Does anyone happen to have a service manual or any other information on this backhoe? I was told the engine was replaced (possibly just rebuilt?) 13 years ago (and it starts up like this is true), so it’s got that going for it. Any tips/guidance/things to watch out for on this thing?
The only thing I can say is that New Holland is not real good about parts on older machines. So, if you will need any NH supplied parts look into it before spending big $$$ on tires and the hoses. I would hate to see you put all that money in only to find out it needs a part that was discontinued. I guess what I am saying, is run it thru its paces prior to replacing the tires and hoses, if possible.
That’s good advice. I do have to replace the loader hoses, at minimum. I blew one out simply raising it. I figure I’ll do that and then change the filters/fluids and give it a go. The hydraulic lines running to the bucket arm look like they will be more of a pain to do. Still haven’t found a service manual. Might have to bite the bullet and just buy a reprint off eBay or similar. I’m surprised the pdf isn’t floating around since I believe it covers the Ford 2000 tractor all the way up to the 5550 backhoe.
Paper: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1638806764...aQEI2hzRCJj+BtQV1vRFl1nVC46z|tkp:BFBMzu6nhKRk DVD: Ford Tractor 2000 3000 4000 5000 3400 3500 3550 4400 4500 5500 Shop Manual DVD ! | eBay Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Ford Tractor 2000 3000 4000 5000 3400 3500 3550 4400 4500 5500 Shop Manual DVD ! at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products! www.ebay.com