I have a Ford 555 backhoe that when you turn the key most of the time you have to turn it on then off then on again before it will turn over. Is this a solenoid problem or a key switch problem? I had read on some old Ford tractor forums that Fords starter ground didn't work so good so I ground it to the battery box, but it didn't help this problem. Any ideas?
clean grounds, are you running a single battery?
Yes
Grounds will cause a lot of issues, like to see them run to the lower bolt on the starter, some of the battery boxes are bolted to the loader frame and have a extra cable from the frame to the engine that gives poor contact. I would check the volts at the wire to the starter from the key switch, if voltage is ok when your having a no start, I would pull the starter and have it repaired. You also have a neutral start switch on the trans that could have internal contact issues along with the key switch. Have you had a load test done to the battery or checked the gravity in it.
No I have not done a load test or checked the gravity in it. Not sure what you mean or how exactly to do those tests. I don't think the battery is the problem as when it turns over it cranks pretty good.
I had a similar problem with my old 555A Ford backhoe, occasionally turn the key and just get a click. Try a few more times and it would start. I started checking battery connections, then on to all the rest of the cables. Finally I found the cable connection to the starter motor itself wasn't quite as tight as it should have been. Took the cable off the starter, cleaned the the lug and the terminal and that was the end of the problem. It doesn't take a lot to have a bad connection or two somewhere along the line, specially if the machine is parked outdoors all it's life. Water gets into 'em, causes a bit of corrosion that may not be visible until you take 'em apart and clean 'em.
check the wiring connector going thur the firewall,,,,,,,its behind the panel below the steering wheel