Hi everyone, been working (and fixing) the Ford this summer. I have a few issues I'm dealing with.. I put a new ignition switch last weekend, got just about everything working. The previous owner cobbed in some universal ignition switch, the only thing it would do is start. However with it running and lights on, they will go dim, and get bright, get dim, bright etc. Does this sound like a voltage regulator? 2nd is, I get a loud hydraulic sounding whine inside the cab between 1000-1200rpm, any other rpms I dont hear it. All the fluids are full Seems to drive fine. Hydraulic filter looked clean (no lint) Hoe will pick itself up off the ground at idle. The only thing that looks questionable is the hydraulic oil. It looks slightly aerated, cant see thought it in the hydraulic tank. Water in the oil could be a possibility as well, although I dont know how it would have gotten in there. It seems like it started doing it sometime over the summer. Not sure what do do about this, Any ideas on where to start? Thanks, -Mike Heres a pic of it, I know how everyone likes them, just finished burying a dead cowfor the neighboring farm..LOL
Did you pressure wash it during the summer?
Yes! a few times actually..Whats the best way to flush the hydraulic system? ointhead
aerated oil Oil and water emulsion will be milky, can't say that you don't need to change it although in heavy industry, especially steel mills its common to run a water based fluid in the hydraulic systems. The aerated oil will generally come from either a return line that is returning oil above the oil level in the tank (breaking the surface tension) or being pulled into the hydraulic system through a bad seal on a pump, hydraulic motor or cylinder. Entrained air will generate a lot of noise. HTH, Tom
It could be your regulator down under by the battery box. Also the wiring harness that goes thru the engine bulkhead is a good area for shorts and loose connector clips. there are also two fuseable links in the alternator circuit. It would be a good idea if you could visually inspect all the wiring.