I just bought a 555c and it goes into forward, reverse 1st and 2nd gears fine but won’t move in 3rd or 4th. It acts like it wants to move in 3rd but won’t and 4th won’t move at all
I'm not familiar with your specific tractor but it sounds like you might have internal drive clutches slipping. Over time the clutch frictions wear out and start causing the problems you are experiencing. If this turns out to be your problem, the fix is to pull the transmission and rebuild the clutch drums where these frictions live. Doing this work will also help you to get to know your backhoe better, that's for sure.
This one has a power reverser so the clutches only control forwards and reverse. 1st through 4th are in the gear box. So essentially it has 4 forwards and 4 reverse.
he is saying clutches are slipping, when larger loads are put on them by 3rd and 4th, pull it to a tree and put in 1st gear and lever in forward and if it spins rear tires you will know
I see. The gear shift feels really sloppy. And when I use either of the interrupt buttons it stops hard. I noticed while looking through the manual. It has a 1st, 2nd safety switch and then also a 3rd, 4th safety switch. What exactly do those do? Is it possible that it keeps the clutches from engagement for those 2 gears
Can you guys recommend a pressure gauge set for testing
GOOD THAT YOU GOT IT MOVING IN ALL GEARS, BY RELEASING THE PARKING BRAKES
BUSTED!! LOL
I have this problem, too.
Looking at a 1990 555c with low hours...but says it only goes in 1st gear??
polarcat, you might be looking at a 1990 with a newer hour meter. Dont trust hour meters. Engines seem to be a lot cheaper than transmissions on backhoes. I suggest avoiding a backhoe with transmission problems.