I have a 89’ Ford 555C backhoe and I was working up some new lights on it and the lights were run from the battery to a rocker switch then direct to the mounted lights, this evening two of the wires touched and shorted the wire out, ( the light circuit does not have fuses or relays) so the wire burnt up which was ran under the cab to the battery and now I can’t get my transmission to go into forward and reverse. No safety switches are keeping it back neither is the clutch disconnect on the joystick for the front loader i just put a new power reverser on it so it’s not that either I drove it probably 30 minutes before it wouldn’t move at all I’m thinking I melted a wire somewhere that gave power somewhere to the transmission, can anyone help me solve this??
Check your power wire going to your shifter and be sure it has power. Check wires on the forward and reverse solenoids . Unplug the connectors and see if there's power at the plugs.If there's power at each one when you shift into forward and at the other one when you go in reverse then check the grounds. Get a small piece of wire and stick in one side of the plug and hook the ground on the test light to it and probe the other terminal while shifting-if the light doesn't come on you have no ground. You should have a fuse panel-check it first before you dive in anywhere else.
Sounds to me like the wire that shorted out got hot and burned thru the shift harness, shorting out the wire. I would trace the wire that shorted. Probably under the floor...just a guess.
Welcome to HEF, Locke !