Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410E won’t move and no Hydraulics

Michael Lapczynski · 2020-03-01 17:33

Good afternoon everyone first time posting here. My uncle just passed away and I have to try to fix his backhoe that just quit on him one day while moving snow. I looked at it today and changed fluids and filters. Found that the one filter that goes for the trans I’m pretty sure wasn’t filling with fluid after running it. I would think it should flow. When you put it in gear it just has an alarm that rings and reads stop. I’m a diesel technician so I don’t get to work on these to much. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no manuals at this time.

Replies23
  1. #1mg23612020-03-02 04:04

    Welcome to HEF Michael ! Please, always post a serial number when dealing with equipment. Does the park brake light go out when releasing the park brake?

  2. #2Michael Lapczynski2020-03-02 04:44

    Thank you! I will for sure post the serial number in the morning. yes that is the filter I’m talking about, the emergency brake light does not go out when released.

  3. #3Michael Lapczynski2020-03-02 12:24

    Attached is a picture of thr serial number

  4. #4mg23612020-03-03 04:05

    Do the hydraulics work?

  5. #5Michael Lapczynski2020-03-03 09:03

    No the hydraulics do not work

  6. #6mg23612020-03-04 05:01

    Your transmission input shaft is broken or the splines are stripped. You either have one of the early shafts with the inadequate hardness or you had a transmission pump or hydraulic pump failure causing the shaft to snap. That can be repaired without removing the transmission. The hydraulic pump has to be removed, then the transmission pump has to be removed. Then the shaft can be removed. Make sure the hydraulic pump and the transmission pump are OK to eliminate as the cause.

  7. #7JL Sargent2020-03-04 18:10

    Yeah, so the transmission charge pump is directly coupled to the engine. It's engine to flex plate to torque converter and that shaft that drives the charge pump in the diagram. MG has most likely scenario outlined in his post. You might also check the flex plate bolts which you can see by removed the inspection plate at the bottom of the engine. Let us know how you make out.

  8. #8Michael Lapczynski2020-03-04 18:27

    Thank you guys for the awesome responses. I took it apart tonight and found the shaft broken. The pumps spin freely.

  9. #9JL Sargent2020-03-04 20:44

    Hopefully you have a JD dealer nearby that can get that for you. MG would know for sure, but I've been told even a farm type JD dealer can order construction equipment parts.

  10. #10Michael Lapczynski2020-03-05 17:16

    Alright now that I got the new shift in and all back together with fluid. The tractor will move forwards and back words but no hydrolics. Do they need to be bleed or sound like pump is bad?

  11. #11JL Sargent2020-03-05 17:37

    You filled the hydraulic tank with fluid and nothing?

  12. #12Michael Lapczynski2020-03-05 17:49

    Yeah filled with fluid and nothing

  13. #13mg23612020-03-06 05:07

    Sounds like a pump issue. Did you leave any caps in the lines by mistake on reassembly? Did the load sense line get reinstalled on assembly? Otherwise maybe a pump failure occurred and that is what took out the shaft.

  14. #14Michael Lapczynski2020-03-06 06:47

    I double checked to make sure nothing was left inside the lines or pump. The tractor sat for 5 years after the issue happened. I took two lines off one on ether side of pump. Also there was I would assume the feed line and the return on top. Do you have a fuller picture of the one you sent? It looks like the one line I put back on.

  15. #15mg23612020-03-07 05:10

    No I don't. That is from the parts page. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/57606/referrer/navigation/pgId/243948179 Check #10 (check valve) and the hose #9 in the picture to make sure they are not plugged with debris. If you have the old hydraulic filter cut it open to see what if any debris is in there. If it full of metal then remove that pump. If it is clean then proceed below. There should be 2 diagnostic quick couplers. One near the line I mentioned on the pump control valve and one near the main outlet line of the pump. If you have a gauge (5000 psi) it would be good to see what you have at those two ports (at idle with the functions in neutral and with function stroked).

  16. #16Michael Lapczynski2020-03-08 14:14

    Well checked all the hoses, and the sense circuit found no clogs. Checked pressures at those two fittings and had nothing. Removed the pump and found some metal flakes in there. I’m just gunna say it’s shot. Can these pumps be rebuilt or do you just buy new? Where is the best place to pick one up? I know the dealer is one but just wondering if there’s any other places. Thank you all for your help. Wouldn’t have gotten this far without the help.

  17. #17JL Sargent2020-03-08 21:42

    Ouch, that is an expensive pump. I found this one on Ebay. I have not dealth with this seller but they do have a good feedback rating. https://www.ebay.com/itm/AT197383-J...draulic-Pump-NEW-SURPLUS-410-E-G/362050265547

  18. #18highwayghost2020-03-08 21:53
  19. #19Michael Lapczynski2020-03-30 16:17

    Update for all and another question. Got the new pump in and all works again but seems like it has to much pressure to where it would stall at idle if you even slightly touch the controls. If idled up its a lot better. I know you can adjust the pressures and I have a gauge just not sure which one I’m supposed to adjust? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all!

  20. #20joeblow2020-03-30 18:24

    Ask mg2361 if there is an orifice in the load sense line. Sometimes they get plugged or just come dislodged when repairing something else.

  21. #21Michael Lapczynski2020-03-30 18:34

    I did check the load sense line before and at the T I didn’t see anything or obstructions. But hey you never know. I figured since it’s a new pump I might have to adjust the pressure to get it right

  22. #22mg23612020-03-31 05:14

    Item #10 on the graphic in post #14 is a Load Sense shuttle check with an orifice. Mike, did you make sure the orifice was clear in the Tee? Does the shuttle rattle when shaken? When you start your tractor does the hydraulics seem to be under load right away? Where did you buy your pump? If you don't have it you should get TM1610 Operation and Test manual. There are quite a few pressure checks and adjustments that just can't be explained in text.

  23. #23Michael Lapczynski2020-03-31 05:49

    Thank you, I’m gunna look for one of the manuals. When I pulled the T apart it was clean. But I might re check it now that it was flowing...yes once you start the tractor it seems like it’s under load and you can hear pump whining... I bought it from finney equipment and parts.