Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 555c whole drive line locked down.

Shane Ashford ยท 2020-12-06 11:12

Hello, i dont have the year but I just bought a ford 555c and the rear tires are locked up. What ever is locked up also has the engine locked up as well. I can't turn the engine over by hand/wrench on the front. Ive got the whole front end taken apart to be able to try to turn the engine over and can't. What could be in such a bind that it has the whole drive line on lock down. I cant pull/push the tractor. Well I can drag it but the rear wheels don't turn is where I was going with that. Last night I got out the air bottle jacks and lifted the rear of the tractor up to take the weight off the rear end and still couldn't turn the drive line. I would take the torque converter loose to try and turn just the engine over but I can't spin it to remove all the bolts. I dont have all the tools needed to split the tractor. Im at a loss of what to check or what direction to go. Any insight would be more than greatly appreciated . Im literally fixing to have a melt down over this thing. Its my life line to support my family. Some please have a answer for me.

Replies8
  1. #1jimg9842020-12-06 12:58

    I would start by removing starter, then manually turn engine, GOOD LUCK

  2. #2Tinkerer2020-12-06 13:35

    Be careful to not break a tooth on the flywheel if you take the starter off and pry on the teeth through it's mounting hole. The first thing that comes to my mind is that the flex-plate that is between the convertor and flywheel has broken up in pieces and has forced the engine crankshaft forward causing it to bind up on the thrust bearing on the crankshaft. It is the only thing that would lock up the entire drive-line including the engine. Unfortunately that requires splitting the tractor to get at the plate. You can disconnect the drive-shaft if you need to move the machine to where you can work on it. Other members may chime in with a different idea as to what happened. Keep us update on what you do / find. You will get all the advice/ help you will ever need on HEF.

  3. #3Delmer2020-12-06 15:10

    So, how long was it submerged in salt water? I think it would be pretty hard to get the transmission to lock up in such a way that the engine AND the rear wheels all locked up. If neither wheel turned with them off the ground, then I would suspect the brakes first, the differential should let one wheel turn and the other turn the opposite direction even if the transmission is welded solid. Even if the driveline is LOCKED, the wheels will still have a tiny bit of free play in the gears so they'll move, I suppose the brakes are usually before the final reduction, so there should be a bit of free play in there also, if it's TIGHT, then it's the bearings locked, can't imagine what would do that besides a salt water bath. The starter is a good place to start on the engine end, but don't go crazy on the flywheel like tinkerer said, just light prying to see what turns and doesn't turn. If it's solid, then take off the intake manifold and see what's inside, then the valve cover and see what's there, drain a few drops out of the oil pan drain to see what comes out. Same with the transmission fluid drain. Loosen the plug to let it drip and see if it's water or oil, and if it's water, see how salty it is (let it evaporate if you don't want to taste it)

  4. #4alrman2020-12-06 15:35

    What does the manual gearshift lever feel like? Does the lever still move? Transmission is in neutral? Could it be possible it has a problem with the selector & engaged two gears?

  5. #5Dave Neubert2020-12-06 17:55

    Sounds like 2 problems if trans is in 2 gears it will lock the rear end but not the engine sounds like engine is locked up too when was the last time it ran

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-12-06 22:00

    I'm curious as to why you bought a machine in this condition when you said it is lifeline to support your family.

  7. #7mitch5042020-12-06 22:05

    I can't see how one problem can lock all of it down, particularly where the engine nor the wheels will rock at all. I believe this machine has AT LEAST 2 problems.

  8. #8joe--h2020-12-08 13:55

    Not so worried after all I guess? Joe H