Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Repairing a failing Magnetic Switch, 580

Birdseye · 2020-12-06 17:23

Hi A new Magnetic switch can be had for about $30 + shipping but I wanted to see if I could repair the one I have. When ignition is turns on the magnetic switch got juice , made a click but wouldn’t transfer voltage to the output lug. So I : - drilled out the four rivets and with a soldering iron, separated two wires then opened it up: then I could see the dirty corroded contacts that after 35 years no longer conduct electricity: Using a dremmel with a variety of bits i ground the contacts back to bare bright copper, re- soldered the wires, applied RTV sealant to cover, pop-riveted it closed, bob’s your uncle, good to go ! Saved $40 for something I can’t fix and have to buy new.

Replies3
  1. #1Jonas3022020-12-06 18:47

    Nice job Probably be just as good as a new Chinese one I've cleaned up a few starter mounted solenoids like that not so much to save a few bucks but to get running

  2. #2JL Sargent2020-12-06 21:32

    I repaired one just like that once. It worked properly for a few snaps more after I was done. Then I bought a new one.

  3. #3Birdseye2020-12-06 21:46

    For those times when don’t fully appreciate the benefit of new material, parts etc , it helps to try and repair it or build it myself . Depending on the results of such an endeavor, the new item becomes more or less affordable!