Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

looking at a case 680 with bad transmission

DaveA ยท 2020-12-06 08:52

Found a Case 680, that will not stay in gear in any of the gears. I would like to replace the transmission. Who is the maker of the transmission, and what else uses it. Also what other areas should I look at. before buying

Replies8
  1. #1Tinkerer2020-12-06 16:15

    What is the model of the 680 ? It is unlikely the transmission needs to be replaced. Please keep all your 680 questions in this thread. It is easier to to help you.

  2. #2DaveA2020-12-06 21:33

    Thanks what is a common problem with them, not going into or staying in gear. Just went though my shuttle on a 680E. And found a bad belview washer. acted simler. Becuse I couldn't get it all the way into gear.

  3. #3Tinkerer2020-12-06 21:47

    Are you saying that you can put into any of the 4 gears and it will pop out of gear when you try to move the tractor in forward or reverse ?

  4. #4DaveA2020-12-07 06:28

    yes. haven't made it down to look at tractor. that is what the owners tells me. will look at it next weekend.

  5. #5DaveA2020-12-08 20:47

    talked to him tonight he had someone put bearings in the transmision. now he has syncro parts in the oil and was told transmision parts are hard to come by. Found a transmision in texas for $2300. From past experance I think the transmision is use in other equipment. I just need to know where to look

  6. #6Tinkerer2020-12-08 22:00

    I can't imagine why the synchronizers broke up. I would guess a snap ring on the mainshaft either broke or the wrong size was installed. I bought everything but the bearings for my 680CK from ---> https://joseph.com/ . He had all the gears and synchronizers. I can't remember where I bought the bearings. There are a lot of needle bearings on the main-shaft. I invested about $1600.00 total. It was well worth it because I had essentially a new transmission when I was done.

  7. #7DaveA2020-12-08 22:15

    I've delt with these people on my allis 816. very good sales team. was looking on fixing and flipping the tractor. the owner wants to sell it for $3200 it's going to cost me $500 to get it home. not much wiggle room on price if I have $1600 in trans. I realy appercate the help

  8. #8Tinkerer2020-12-09 09:43

    I agree, it is not a machine to buy and flip.