Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford 6500 TLB hydraulic pump

carogator ยท 2013-02-14 20:28

Does anyone have a 6500 or access to one? I need to know the position that the pump is installed in. This pump is reversible so the drive shaft could be installed in either position. The pump has a belly like look and can be mounted up or down with the shaft in the top or bottom position. If you have access, maybe you could take a picture and post it. Thanks for any help.

Replies2
  1. #1sheepfoot2013-02-15 20:48

    Did a quick search, looks like the orings are around 1 3/4 on the suction side flange and 1 1/4 on the pressure side, i would think if it had a larger port it would go to the suction side, just a thought.

  2. #2carogator2013-02-16 10:30

    Thanks for the info, both port holes are 1 1/2 inch, so it is difficult to tell which way pump is to be mounted. This pump is reversible by switching the gears. I took the port adapters off and the oring impressions were still there so I was able to see which side was being used as suction. The repair shop that pulled the pump apart just stuck it back together, so I didn't know if they had it oriented properly. I didn't trust them because they threw away pressurs plates and seals out of the pump as they pulled it down. The estimate was so high that I decided to find a new pump.I have the suction side , now I just have to determine rotation. It appears to be clockwise. Looking into gears on suction, the gears are separating, rather than meshing. Would this be what the books call "coming at you"?