I have an unknown year Ford 655 backhoe, I think it's electrical related however, however I am stumped and fear a seized 268 motor. I replaced the starter and the battery already. The starter will engage however it seems like it doesn't have the voltage to turn the motor over. (Both old starter and new) I tried jumping starter straight across with no success. I also went as far as pulling injectors soaking cyl trying to break the rings free if that was the issue with no success either.
can you bar the motor over by hand? with the injectors out? Was the motor overheated ? did it sit for a long time?
If the motor turns over, and doesn't have obvious signs of damage, it has oil, wasn't sitting with water in the exhaust manifold etc. Then hook up a multimeter with some alligator clips to the solenoid terminal and the starter body to see what voltage it sees when you try to crank it. If it's too low, work back to see where the drop is. Or feel the cables for heat, carefully!
The Hoe sat for several months when I parked it. I tried to turn over the motor but the front end is hooked to hyd shaft I think, so I couldn't get into it easily. Maybe pull starter back off and try to turn from flywheel?
ill try with a meter.
That seems like a lot of work at this point. Did the engine turn at all with the starter? You should be able to turn the engine a tiny bit by grabbing the fan with one hand and the belts with the other hand, pull on the belts in such a way to tighten them and pull the same direction with the fan. It should turn a tiny bit until at a time, wait for the compression to release, and turn another tiny bump. The worn old engines I see, this works fine.
What Delmer said I've done it many times.
What did you use in the inj. holes?? Transmission fluid works great..