I cannot get the machine to start cold if its under 50 degrees.It has a glow plug,i turn key left and it does warm the intake manifold some.I have to plug it in the night before which is ok but at times keeping the machine close enough to get a extension cord to reach is a issue, and my electric bill goes steep as this machine has 1 plug but it supplies 2 units at the block.My real question for the back in the day crowd is where is the cold start button I keep hearing about?, I see nothing on the injection pump but 1 weird item above the throttle linkage but it has a steel sleeve over it.My google search suggests ford has put 1 variation or another on most of the construction and farm equipment but I find no pictures of the location anywhere,i have been looking for weeks.Any help greatly appreciated.
"I THINK" your thinking about the cold start button on a SIMMS PUMP.. The Simms is an Inline pump..the steel lines going to the injectors are in a straight line coming from the pump.. & the CAV DPA is a rotary pump.. the lines are in a circle.. is the best way to explain it.. IF u wanna a picture, go to Broken Tractor dot com & hit the Ford selection to pic your pump.. I can tell u where it is on the Simms but u gotta figure out whatcha got 1st.. Theres NO button on the CAv DPA
Welcome to HEF! Old Man Fitz !
It is this pump,SIMMS?. The piece I am referring to is at the top in the picture,that cover is tin and no way it pushes down and I see no other cold start button anywhere.FWIW I did install a new lift pump hoping it may help,it appeared to be the original since it had the engine paint color still on it,I may have a tad more power but no difference in starting machine.It has 3250 hours on a working meter. Thank you for welcoming me to the forum, I have creeped around here over the years just never had anything to add.I'm retired yellow freight/yrc driver and ran low bed trailer dump exc. in my younger days, I can jump on most machines and do some work without wrecking things, will never call myself a expert operator but I can do a lot, maybe a bit more them a weekend warrior.
This young fella gets his going,mine looks the same with full cab.I get a kick outa the kid, it's Christmas morning! haha neighbors must love it.
The kid knows where the button is, and sort a what it does, but he's a little foggy on how it works. Useless for showing where it is too. If I'm understanding correctly, you push the button in and leave it in, it will pop back out on it's own when the engine starts. Pretty sure he's not pumping extra fuel by pumping it a few times. The button is the pivot shaft of the shut off lever. In the upper right of your pic is the shut off lever, look at the shaft that arm is mounted on, you can almost see part of it shiny and smaller and sticking out further, find that on your pump and see if it pushes in 1/4".
my ford 555a has what is called a thermostart,,,, it has a tee coming off the bottom of the line coming from inj. pump returning to fuel tank, off the tee going down to therostart which is a glow plug stays full of fuel, until key is turn then glow plug heats up and letting hot fuel into into the intake as cranking
Wow thanks, I will check it out.I have read the proper way is to open the throttle all the way,push the button and bring the throttle back half way,heat the glow plug and crank,when it starts bring throttle down and it releases a spring pressure on the button.I am not sure if the fuel rail has a bypass valve or what but it is supposed to allow a bunch of fuel to pour into the intake.
U have to have the throttle off of low idle for it to work properly.. How far off of LOW IDLE is your guess. It’s trial n error. to release it manually just pull the stop lever.. But the excess fuel button is in the center of the shut off lever.
I was told to check for that,this 655 does not have a "dripple line" connected to the intake.
thank you all I will try it later today and let yall know how she does, chappell tractor says the 655's always started hard in the cold, I wonder how many people don't know this has this feature?.
I didn't until reading this thread. There seems to be some confusion about a glow plug vs flame start. The flame start/thermostart is an electric heating element in the intake manifold that heats up, releases fuel, and ignites it, so that the cylinder is literally sucking in flames. A glow plug is an electric heating element only, typically inside each cylinder. There's also a grid heater, that just heats the air going into the intake manifold with electricity, and is much less effective than glow plugs or thermostart. All of these are completely separate from the button on the simms/minimec pump.
NO ETHER when using heating devices in the intake manifold. Bad things happen if you do. Most everyone knows that but there may be a very inexperienced person reading this.
No ether/ starting fluid with any glow plug engine either/ever.
I've found all engines (Ford/Leyland/BMC) with a Simms/minimec pump are hard starting cold. Using the excess fuel button is a must!
video of that tractor trying to start,,, looks like engine is flooded with fuel,,,low battery, bad starter, leaking injectors
THANK YOU DELMER,, FOR PUTTING MY POST IN ENGLISH
https://partstore.agriculture.newho...actorCo/parts-search.html#epc::mr48900ag24231 ( diesel cold start 1 and 2 )
Well son of a beach, they call it a "glow plug" too. Whatever
U hafta pay attention to the vernacular.. the "glow plug".. or the glow plug"s"..
Anybody notice there is an ether start assist in the parts book to ? Hmmmm, wonder if it comes with the glow plug assembly ?
I think I would be checking the compression. It should not need much help at 50 degrees.
Hey Ol Man.. did u find it.??
Hey guys sorry to keep you in suspense,we had a snow storm then -06 below so I let it set.I found the cold start button on the pump!!!!,the thing is inside the pivot for the fuel shutoff, no way I would have ever thought it being there,thank you for the help. 2nd thing I discovered is that I do in fact have a thermostart, glow plug/dripple line combo.I had never noticed the fuel line, the top of the intake is quite dirty(black) the hose leading from the top of the valve cover seeps quite a bit,probablee some blow by going on.How this fuel line is plumbed is it is hooked to what I think is a return line from the injector,it runs behind and up,then loops down to the thermoplug.I think the length of the line is considered the reserve because it only pumps fuel when running, I started it with the line disconnected,it just dribbles out.I cannot see this being hooked to the fuel tank though as some have said. I have started it with the cold start button but I did have it plugged in,it hit right away with lots of coal out the stack so that's worth using it for right there.I will be adjusting my cold starts to "fine tune" my starts. I just installed the new thermostart this afternoon so I cant comment on it yet, should be one day this week though I have a pile of stumps im moving to the woodsline, it has to be cold this area is full of silty clay and it never seems to freeze.
Yes, they're often installed with just the line as the fuel reserve, it must not take much! You'll really like it when you have the button pushed in, THE glowplug working, and plugged in. Plugging it in is easiest on the engine, the other two save the starter.
-4 cold start button in,thermostart, and plugged in starts easy.may try it today without plugging it in,it's +26 f.
Be sure that cold start button "kicks out" after starting.. U DONT WANT all that fuel while its warming up.. Bad things can happen.. The fuel that the excess fuel button allows is HUGE.. u dont wanna wash down your cylinders.. Your supposeta move the throttle OFF IDLE, push the button & it should SNAP into place{you should hear it}.. Start the engine & it;ll rev & the excess button should have snapped out.. Run your engine at about 1000 till warm or your ready to work it.. {not toooo long tho} Hope this helps.. BTW, theres "suppose ta be" a rubber "boot" around the button.. is it there ?? IF it doesnt snap OUT.. pull the STOP slowly, THAT will kick it out of excess.. Happy Plowing.. I'm workin in my garden. lol