Hi everyone I've been using my 1989 Ford 655A hoe quite a bit lately and she's giving me some trouble. The other day I got to a job and noticed an erratic idle, after which it began to run at a very high idle, which now starts out kinda high when its cold and gradually climbs as it gets warmer. If I am taxing the hydraulics in any way, the idle comes down, but as soon as I let go of a lever it climbs right back up again. Also seems to be smoking excessive whitish? smoke. I checked the throttle linkage to confirm that it returns to the throttle stop which it does. I checked the injection pump and it was almost out of oil...filled it up, didn't make any difference. Also doesn't seem to have the power it should and strange and different "Fwapping" noise coming from exhaust. Is there any way of condemning the Injection pump before I pull it for a rebuild? anyone have any info on pulling the injection pump? Its the type with the four injector lines coming off the top, not the back. 4 Cyl Ford engine. Thanks for your help!
There is a "drain plug" on the bottom of the pump, 1/2" wrench... remove it and catch the "mud". Now remove the side cover, 2, 1/2" screws. You will probably see a bunch of "mud" in there also..clean that area with your favorite spray cleaner and let it flow out the open drain hole.. The part you need to "clean" is encased, [the governor flyweights] and you cant get to it from there.. BUT you may be able to loosen it up abit.. Grab the rack and rapidly move it left to right several times until it feels free.. do this in several throttle positions, low, middle and hi..Engine NOT RUNNING ofcourse.. I've heard of folks creating some kind of "concocktion" to put in the pump to try to get the flyweights to free up,and letting it sit overnite, with little to no success but you might get lucky. Something like equal parts ATF, diesel fuel, engine oil and seafoam.. Don't forget to refill the pump w/ clean engine oil before you run it again.. You do know there is a "full plug" on the SIDE of the pump?? Not enough oil and things start to rust.. to much and she acts crazy.. You can run the engine with the side cover off for diagnostic purposes.. Try the above,, and if no luck I'll be happy to walk you thru removal.. PLEASE don't attempt w/out instructions.. you'll hate yourself for it.. and cause MANY cuss words to flow from your mouth.. Keep us informed. TPG
Great info pumpguy, thanks. I did drain the oil in the pump and that's exactly what came out - a few drops of mud. I am aware of the fill plug on the side of the pump and I used it to fill to correct level. the "concoction" was in fact my next step - I was going to flush with diesel then marvel mystery oil. In fact I was going to try running it with marvel mystery, then drain and refill with clean engine oil. I figure its worth a shot. Do you rebuild these pumps? what kinda money does it run? would this account for smoke, loss of power and strange exhaust fwapping noise? Anything else it could be besides the pump? I think I know whats coming... whats the best way to get walked thru pump removal? email? forum? phone? Thanks again - I REALLY appreciate your help! Mike
I'll send you an email.