Just thinkin of buying a old Ford hoe and had a few questions. It seems like its losing power like it wont wind up all the way when you stomp the pedal. Also it needs some cylinder seals and basic items, few pins, misc. Are parts reasonable and available? Are they good machines? We had a 1982 (or so) back in the 90's and it wasnt bad but we bought a newer at the time Case 580 which was better. This is a late 80's model with 4000hrs. thanks
Check fuel filters for the power loss. Parts are reasonable I think anyway. Its a big plus if you have a good dealer nearby, the closest one doesnt stock anything, The one I go to is an hour, and stock just about everything I have ever wanted for it, and cheaper then the closer dealer.
what all have you done to yours?
Check the Alternator connections. Also, check hydrolics, make sure they are all hooked up etc. On top of that, make sure it's connected to ground. (Your electrical) A guy I did work with had a Skid Steer that acted like that. Turned out it wasn't connected to ground. Not a Mechanic(learning to be one) but by "losing power" do you mean the bucket/boom isn't working right? or the machine starts slowing down/lights dim? If your machine seems to be just slowing down, lights flickering/dimming etc. Than it's the power supply. (which mainly would be an issue with either the Battery (best case scenario) or Alternator (worse case scenario) assuming your wirings all good, and it's connected to ground. If it's your boom/bucket itself slowing, getting weaker, working in "spurts" or not working at all, it's your hydraulics. Best case scenario, you have a leak in a hydraulic pipe. worse case, your hydraulic pump is messed up.
I bought an old 555A with et- hoe once at auction I knew it needed alot of work and enjoyed working on it.For my pins and bushing's i had a machine shop build them for me. To rebuild them cyclinders your going to need special tools, to get head off you can build this one yourself platesteel drill holes thru proper place now weld in grade 8 bolts and cut off to lenth, you know like little pins to fit in the holes in the cyc. head. Leave room to weld on a solid steel pry handle.Now you are going to have to take that huge nut off the cyc. rod. its like 750 ft. pnds. No tourqe multiplyer? forget about getting it at home take them cyc. to the shop. For that ole tired engine i recommend a product you can get at wal-mart called Restore or engine restore. It will increase your commpression and help with any starting issues. Also along with looking in the bottom of that fuel tank you will be surprised how much trash is in some of these and they still run.If it is bad clean it out with a wet vac thats the easiest way then blow all lines out from filter to the tank. I think ford, new holland parts are the highest, but that is probably cause i own one. Very good equiptment IMO
I bought a 555A about 8 years ago, it's up to 3850 Hrs now, just use it around my 5 acres, always a little job to do. It's like a pickup, once you have one you can never live without one. I replaced the water pump, resealed one steer cyl, and new shaft seal in the power steering pump, all the other cylinders are tight except that the swing will drift a little if I am on a side hill but not bad. bought a shop manual from the Ford dealer, bucket is straight and cutting edge good, backhoe teeth about 80%, has extra valve, must have had 4 in 1 bucket at one time, could use the extra hydraulics for a log splitter if I wanted. New Firestone tires on the back. always starts unless its below freezing then I give it a squirt of brake cleaner, not as harsh as ether. Replaced the boots on the brake linkage at the axle and put in new park brake cable. All decals are in French, not sure where it came from originally
I've had mine for a little over a year now. Bought it pretty cheap. Mine has a pinholed cylinder wall, pretty common on these, block sealer took care of it for now. Had to make a pin for the loader, Rebushed the steering spindles, did some rewiring and installed a new ignition switch. Still needs a cylinder or two resealed, cutting edge for the bucket, cab is rusty. Has about 4100 hours, Absolutely love it.