Just found out that the early 80's 555 I bought a couple of weeks ago is actually a 1977 Ford 550...but it's a European model. This just goes to prove that I am new to all this. The major differences are the outriggers, which are vertical, and the backhoe was designed to slide from left to right for use in the tight streets and alley-ways of Europe (or at least that's what my local Ford dealer told me); however the motor on the slider is broken so that the backhoe is stationary. I'm just wondering if any of you experts have ever come across these machines before and what your opinion is of them? I only bought the tractor for farm use and will probably use the loader more than the backhoe and the dealer said that the rest of the tractor would be easy to get parts for just not the motor on the backhoe. I just don't know if I should flip it now and get out from under it or just use it till it dies. Any thoughts?
ford 550 I have had a 550 for the last 20 years and its been trouble free very reliable . Its 2 wheel drive and the front king pins do suffer some ware otherwise its fine. there is no motor on mine to move the back actor from side to side you simply release a hydraulic lock and move it using the back actor controls (ie) dig the bucket into the ground at right angles to the machine and pull or push as necessary. There is no difficulty getting parts from Ford dealers in Ireland so I expect the same should apply in usa.
Thanks irelandpat, I was beginning to think that I was the only one out there! My local dealer says they can't get parts for it but they have a catalog for it online. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I ever get there. Would like to talk to about it a little more if your willing.
They are quiet popular here although clean ones are hard to find now, and talk away "there is no charge "!!!!!!!
Well there are a couple of issues that I am having and they are both related to pretty much the same thing; that is, the farm that I am using it on is full of hills and elevations. One issue is the front end weight of the tractor. I seem to spend more time on 2 wheels than 4 which has me in a constant state of panic that I am going to flip the thing. I went to a fabricating shop today and talked to them about making me some weights to put on the front to alleviate the problem but am not too sure how much I really need. I don't want to put too much stress on the front end but would prefer to be able to take turns and straightaways on elevations without losing traction. The other related issue is due to the vertical outriggers. When I'm trying to dig on any elevation it feels like the backhoe is not going to stay put, and in fact most the time it doesn't. I don't know if this is a unique problem because of the "European" design or if it would happen on any backhoe but either way I was wondering if you have had similar experiences with yours and if so what tips you may give me.
The sideshift hoes are designed to be shifted to one side and turned against the machines. That's why it's so heavy in the back. You should find out what exactly is broken if it's the motor try and get it rebuilt.
desertwheeler is correct you need to move the backhoe(the slew motor) either to the left or right of the machine and then fold the backhoe in tight to the machine. With the backhoe in this position you should be able to climb most hill safely. If yours is a European model then there is no motor for moving the backhoe, there is a hydraulic clamp, operated by a simple pull-push handle beside the controls for the backhoe.If you rest the backhoe on the ground straight behind the machine and release the handle you should see the backhoe become noticeable loose, you can now slew it to the side and push or pull or push to move the slew motor left or right. i hope this makes sense to you.
Thanks to you both, this is some good information. In theory I do understand what you are saying but not sure if this model is the same as yours; it obviously is a sideshift machine but I cant tell if it motorized or not. I have attached pictures of it....let me know if this looks like yours.
It doesn't look like it is motorized to me. If you can unlock it, you want to push it that way iirc. So if you want it on the left swing right and put the bucket down about half to 2/3's the reach and it may take some playing with it to get it to slide nice. It's been a while since I ran one. Maybe take a picture of the controls so we can see what controls the lock.
Thanks for the input desertwheeler, I will take some photos tonight of just the control portion. The last photo you see there is the actual push/pull handle that I think irelandpat is talking about. Last night I pulled up on the handle and it came off in my hand although the rod itself didn't budge. I need to look underneath and see if anything has been capped off etc. Will post some better photos of that part later on today. Thanks!
it looks like someone has bolted and welded the kingpost/carriage to the sideshift rail ,how it works in theory is you slide the arm to whatever position you want/need across the back and it locks in position , they are not motorised ,you push / pull them from side to side https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnix2GkY5uw
Hi Guys, yes a stopper has been welded-bolted on the rail to prevent the backhoe from sliding, however I do not seen a stopper on the left side of the slewing motor so it should be able to slide to the left. the handle shown in picture 3 is indeed the lock which holds the backhoe in place"lift" for sliding and "push down" to lock.
You both are correct about the stoppers, however what we found is the stoppers are not welded on, once you take the bolts out they just fall off. I have another photo attached that shows the one line that for some reason or the other has been disconnected. I looked up under the controls and it appears that everything is still hooked up....not sure what the advantage would be to not use the slew/slider. Is the clamp you speak of only supported by hydraulics?
I should note that the disconnected hose connects to the one coupling you see to the left of the hose I'm holding.
Hook it up and see what happens. Thats what I'd do
i would guess the seals have gone and it will leak vast amounts of oil if reconnected
That could be, I did find a seal kit an eBay yesterday but I can't imagine how I would be able to disconnect the backhoe.