Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford F550

Brandon_M · 2019-12-26 20:45

Is a Ford F550 to big to use for a regular truck? Won’t be driven everyday but on occasion to town & back. Have other vehicles for everyday driving, but want something large enough to move my backhoe or dozer if needed. Vary rarely would I haul them but you never know & I believe I can get a good deal on a f550 4x4 flatbed.

Replies7
  1. #1Steve Frazier2019-12-26 21:28

    Sounds like you've answered your own question in your description. There are no rules, do what works for you! It will be fine for occasional use, fuel mileage isn't great and ride is rough but it won't cost you another vehicle.

  2. #2Junkyard2019-12-26 21:37

    I drove a 4500 Dodge daily for several years. It was a crewcab with an 11’ bed. It’s not all that bad. Taking kids to school and my moms gated community were the biggest obstacle lol.

  3. #3Brandon_M2019-12-26 21:54

    Lol Junkyard that’s a good one!!! Thanks guys for the extra push. This is a regular cab truck with a 10’ bed I’m thinking not 100% on that. By far it’s not be my everyday truck but if I needed to pick something up from town I’d need it to drive it.

  4. #4_Weldman_2019-12-26 22:54

    If it's the 7.3 or the 6.7 I'd say go for it. Drove a F450 for 7 years with a Geo Metro for daily commuting, use to name it the "titty bouncer" cause it did just that, but it got whatever I needed moved, moved. Better have CDL when you hitch that trailer up though, cause a F550 is 19,500 GVWR and I'm sure your trailer GVWR is over 5,500 lbs.

  5. #5Brandon_M2019-12-27 00:15

    Yeah you’re correct about my trailer having a larger gvwr than 5,500#. It’s a 6.7 with a 6 speed manual. I’ve got a cdl already but in my area it’s not required with a farm use only plates, which is what this would be. (I know, I don’t wanna get that conversation started lol)

  6. #6_Weldman_2019-12-27 01:05

    Sounds like perfect set-up, go for it and don't look back.

  7. #7barnbuilder2019-12-27 07:36

    Didnt think Ford offered a manual with the 6.7?