Might be looking at a L8000 to upgrade from my 86 f 800. Truck I'm looking at is a 97 with a 300 hp Cummins. Not sure exactly what motor, guy is selling it for his father and didn't know off hand. I haven't looked at it in person yet. Truck is 36,000 gvw singe axle. Is there anything I should be aware of with these trucks? Are parts hard to find or horribly expensive? Truck has air and an 8ll transmission. I routinely haul stone for my jobs and would tow smaller exuipment regularly but wouldn't rule out hauling a dozer or medium size excavator. This is an L8000 not sure how to edit the title.
zero cab parts.
They are good solid trucks usually a good value for the money Still have 5 of them on the road had to get creative on a few parts but cant think of anything major offhand
A 300 HP Cummins does not tell us a whole lot. My 01 Dodge has 315 HP 5.9, 360 CID. There were also 300 Big cams with 855 CID. 8.3, L10 and M11 were in between. Want at least an 8.3 but an L10 would be better. I like those trucks pretty well but some parts are getting hard to find. Long Lewis in Alabama has been good. They got a plastic headlight assembly for an AeroMax. Not so sure about the future parts situation.
The 855, L10 and M11 would make it as 9000, I think it will be the 8.3, it was also used in the larger F Series trucks. I don't know a whole lot about that engine but I've always been a big fan of the L Series Ford. Spent about 15 years behind the wheels of various years. I enjoyed driving them.
I have seen several that the roofs had alot of rust is this a problem with them?
8000-8.3-----9000-L10-M11-N14-3406E
Parts is my big concern, not sure on exact motor, just going on what I'm told as I haven't physically looked at it yet. It's an L8000, not 9000, screwed up the title of the post.
It's an 8000, I screwed up the title of the post.
Good engines.
We run three L8000's on the farm. They've been pretty solid trucks for us and get the job done. All three of ours have the 7.8L Ford diesel. Not a huge powerhouse, but these trucks always get the job done. I've enjoyed them quite a bit over the years.
8.3 is a fine engine and parts will be available till the end of fossil fuels. Good basic truck most likely.
The basic part of the truck is fine, the 8.3 is fine. But when it comes to electrical and dash components those parts are depleted. It's junk yard time, plus the yards know it and charge a premium.
One reason I'm not a fan of the L-LN series below, LTL series is different deal. Anyone have shoe horn?
That engine stuffed under the cab made them able to turn on a dime though. I delivered into metro areas with tight docks, it made backing in a lot easier than with a longer truck.
I didn't think it was possible but it seems I've finally come across a truck more ignorant to work on than an International. Did exactly ONE oil change on a Workstar and that was enough for me to write off the idea if EVER touching another Navistar product lol.
You spend an eight hour day inside that cab pulling the top end off that engine or try running overheads, you'll think twice about the next one. A C.O.E. makes far more sense for inner city use than that design and one hell of alot easier to work on. But this is where Ford got the idea to remove the cab on their pickup line.
I know a Ford diesel tech. and he said once you've taken the cab off a few times it's not that bad of a job. On a semi though I could see it being a royal PIA. I had a Hino cab over and everything was out in the open with the cab tilted. That truck turned sharper than my pick up.
Flat rate at Ford dealer to remove and reinstall the cab on a 2000 Ford F-550 crew cab is 1-1/2 hours. Took us about 2 hours doing it for the first time. We spent a bit of time reading the manual to make sure we didn't screw up. It made replacing the engine a breese. Even the brake lines to the master cylinder have quik disconnects. No bleeding when done.
difference in a pickup and an older semi cab there are no quick disconnects in the semi
Internationals rendition of a hemorrhoid. Same design only a different name on the hood.
The engine tucked under the dash scares me. Looks like a colossal pain in the ass to work on. Looking at a c 7500 chevy too, better deal, lots more money but it an 04 and cones with a 20 ton trailer. Trying to figure out which way to go...... Or I could just deal with the leaks and ****** power steering on my old f800 lol
Hey! I resemble that remark! I have worked on the Fords some, and the IHs a LOT. I think the IH is a little easier to work on, but neither one is great. I have always said those are a local drivers dream, and a mechanic's nightmare. I HATE driving a long-nose pete or KW. You can't see over the dash much less the hood.
Now you're talking about something to drive a parts man to drink. At least with the Ford, there are some body parts available through Freightliner (Sterling), in you find somebody that can match them. The other thing is that the Fords have a cult following that seems missing from the big Chevys.
The L9000 fords aren't nearly as bad for engine room as the LN. I have 2- L9000's. One is big cam cummins, one is 3406, and I think both just have part of the back rocker box under the firewall. They aren't nearly as bad as the one in truck shop's picture. What mitch504 is saying about the visibility is one of the best features of the fords. Its a pretty roomy cab, and you can see everything. The old freightliner cabs I think are the worst for visibility. They have two little "porthole" windows and a big old fat hood. They are like driving a submarine.
After 47 years of dealing with half baked trucks, straight up I couldn't give a crap if the driver is setting on a apple box. First order of business while being in business is buy equipment that is relatively easy to repair and inexpensive compared to other equipment. Rigs like those above usually end up with a bunch of half *** repairs done because nobody wants to touch them. Plus if your paying for repair things like those above can drastically change the labor rate. If I see a L or LN series or a S2275 Int the labor rate just went from $105 to $175.00 an hour. Just like a motor home High labor rate. Put some air in that seat, the longer the hood the better.
Remember the old Louisville's with an entire 6-71 under the dog house and only the fan exposed? Alternator driven off the back, slobbering oil everywhere? Ah yes. Good times. How about the white road boss II? liner #4 had to stand perfectly straight to remove from an 855. No room for a puller, had to Jack it up from the bottom. Engineers and designers, gods gift to us all. Lol