So I'm starting up a spreader truck business. I'm looking for a couple trucks, I'm leaning towards 3208 (cause they are CAT and I've heard CAT are the best). I would settle for a hot running 6-53 or 6-71 if the right one showed up. Maybe a 8v92 for hilly areas. I could just swap the bigger detroit in when I needed more power- I heard detroits are modular like that. I've got a old international s2500 hood in the back yard, I was thinking about building a truck around it. I only have the hood but should be able to source the rest. I'd really like one with bigger tires in the rear than in the front, that way I'd get better mileage running downhill all the time. (Mitch504-- If you're still locked up and can't communicate- stamp your foot on the floor three times- I'll send help!- hopefully she won't read this far into the thread)
All I can say is those converted trucks are a thing of the past here... Everyone runs the big Agco 3 wheel floaters. Ed
I like the 2300 better than the 2500, shorter hood, better visibility, tighter turning.
Actually, it's funny you decided to do this now. I just bought these two machines today. My business plan is that I am going to go out and get the red one and drive it straight to the job I have already committed to. The ad says "ran good when parked", so what could go wrong? The best thing is, no winch; I know all about hydraulic cylinders! http://www.sunriseequipment.com/product/bucyrus-erie-hydrocrane-h-3-1507/ Then, I'm going to take the money I make with it the first month, and fix the yellow one. Once I have two cranes, I'll be a millionaire in a year!
] Missouri is weird. There are decent sized farms still running pickup sprayers over there. That said, the third sentence of the OP sealed it for me that crane op is just having some fun. Just in case he isn't joking, I'd be looking for a 25 ton volvo and the biggest bed you can find.
Use a Volvo or Scania with their power plants, parts are cheap and easy to get. Make it so you can remove the spreder and attach a crainer and you can have a deul purpuse machino.
I don't even know what a spreader truck is, or is used for, but I'm going to follow this thread so that in the future I'll be fully qualified to offer advice on them to anybody smart enough to take it. I might even post that advice right back here...
Sorry guys, Mitch504 was posting some really weird youtube video's. I was concerned he was locked in a basement against his will, and was sending a cry for help. I was looking for a secret way to send messages to him.... It seems that his wife has not locked him in the basement, and he is able to freely communicate. Crisis averted.
Thank goodness you aren't locked in the basement. I was worried about you. THis however, is the very best business plan I've read on the forums. I don't see how it could fail.
Why, Thank You Sir! I spent nearly a minute analyzing the numbers. I am glad to hear all that effort wasn't wasted. I did like your idea to swap in a bigger engine under high load conditions.
now I know where eddies old chevy went` except it was a sprayer when it left
Is that an H5 or a 3? Very cool one way or the other. Just kind of hard to tell from the image
I personally think the idea of building a truck around a hood that you already have is probably a sound business plan, that way you end up with exactly what you want…you could call it the Fabricobblespreader.
That's an H3. I actually looked at buying an H5 years ago. could have gotten it for a little over scrap value, it was running but needed a new gas engine. I just wanted it for a toy/shop helper.
I am glad somebody final started a thread talking about all the money you can make with trucks and heavy equipment! Currently thinking of getting into the grading/clearing/pond/landscaping business - not full time as I've got a killer job as a level 3 bovine proctologist, just wanting to do small projects like building 100 acre lakes and clearing a couple hundred acres of mountainside in my off time as I work 2 days on and 3 days off. Found this trackhoe on Craiglist and it's a smoking deal. An E50 is big enough to do what I want to do right? https://bham.craigslist.org/hvo/d/jasper-very-powerful-bobcat-excavator/7108279005.html At just $11,800 for this nice looking machine it would leave about $4,000 for a truck and trailer to pull it around with. What do ya'll think? I've already sent the seller my credit card for a down payment and all my banking information with routing number for payment as i don't have time to go look at it in person. What do ya'll professionals think about my plan? Personally I think mitch is on to $$ with the crane idea.
You guys have both inspired me. I'm going to go into gold mining right here in CT! My plan is this, the neighbors have a small stream and runoff pond, after watching all of the dramaless and unscripted gold shows on tv Im fairly certain I know plenty, plus, I already have some equipment. I'm thinking that there's got to be gold in that runoff pond and stream, I am not going to do any testing, I will get no permits, and I won't even get a sluice box until I have a huge pile of "Paydirt" to run, I don't think I'm even going to ask the neighbors if I can do this on their property, if they do ask what's going on, I'm just going to say that's it's a win win situation for both of us, since I'll just split all of the gold I find with them 50/50.....
Tags all you need is a 349 and sluice box. I agree on the sluice box, don't get one until you've dug enough up with the 349 to make it worth the $$ for a box.
Now wait, you guys are confusing me. Which part of the spreader truck does the sluice box go on?
Duuuuhhhh....you mount the sluice box ON the spreader truck.....mobile sluice box! Since CM has made such a great suggestion, I’ve put all my other equipment up for sale and a deposit down on a 349…
uhh,...As this threads resident spreader truck expert...I think you could just take the chain out of the bottom, put riffles in, and the switch the tires back to front and you'd have it. On edit: Hey, maybe I'll keep one and do that for a hobby after I make my first million with the cranes. 2nd edit: Hey Tags, you start digging as soon as you get the 349, and I'll pull the chain out soon as I get the crane to lift it with. I'll meet you at your neighbors place.
I want in on this gold scheme, it sounds like a great use of the spreader trucks. I'm thinking they've overlooked the gold that should be filtered down to the swamps, so I'm looking at a long reach for swamp work. I've found my excavator, its priced right. I've also got some advice on getting it pulled out and fixed from a different online forum, but I'd appreciate a little more advice. Of course I'm not going to listen to any of the advise, because I know it will be easy to get out. And it should be no problem to fix it. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/617574942424908 https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452624
Maybe I'll have the "new" 349 trucked over to where your "new" machine is to help you pull it out. Once we get it out, a quick check of fluids and you should be good to run. Mitch should probably start getting that spreader truck ready.... and I take offense to the term "scheme"....I would rather refer to it as a "no brainer" or a "can't lose" situation.....especially since I'm headed your way to get that new-to-you machine out....
Shoot, you don't need that 349. Look at the tires on those spreader trucks you bought! I bet those things will pull it right out! If you have trouble, there's a guy on the garage board who admits he's never touched a track hoe, but he says he can have it out by lunch. If that won't do it, I'll bring my new h-3 over and just lift it straight out and set it upright.
If you are going to find gold and use a spreader sluice I dont think a 349 is going to cut better a 375 or 390 you know more efficient cost per yard I hear CT is real easy on with wide roads and cheap permits With a 390 cm cam rent it in the winter cause you know its more efficient for for land clearing that makes it like a triple or quadruple win I think you over looking your water pump the irrigation district just upgraded there lift pump the one they took out will be real cheap bearings just need wd40 it pumps 18 cfs cant go wrong with to much water and gold