Anyone ever see one? I am looking at an 86 400big cam and 13 speed Seems odd to have big engine/trans yet single screw
I thought the T in LTL stood for Tandem so somebody might have cut it. Around here high HP single screws are typically used for hauling sets of doubles.
Or triples... UPS runs the shortest single screw day cabs I've ever seen with 400 or more ponies yanking three 27 footers. Couple bread outfits too, but less power... cubed out with bread and buns they're nowhere near gross weight, LOL. Oregon and Washington only I think. I know headed South they break the back one off in Dillard.
Is there anyway to run the vin to see how it was factory built?
Maybe I was talking to the wrong people but I tried to research something like this once and it seemed that Ford wanted to forget all traces of their heavy truck heritage, and Freightliner did not care, either.
The LTL's came out in 1976 and were special order tractors for owner operators. And came with 8V71-3406 or 350-400 cummins. Shortest wheel base was 154, It could have been ordered with single drive. The drive should be something like an R-170. You had to order one from a Ford truck dealer, I only ever saw one demo LTL setting on a Ford lot that I can remember. Truck Shop
I talked to the owner today. It was a tandem that they cut down
Wow there must have been a strange reason to cut it down. The reason Ford built the LTL with 13" extra total nose to rear of cab, was for a good ride quality. And those trucks did ride fairly smooth. Ford was trying to capture some of the conventional truck sales in the over the road market.
It was used as again truck to get in and out of the fields. They wanted the maneuverability. It also hauled a single axle "end dump" as the owner called it. Not quite sure what an end dump is though
End dump means a dump trailer with a gate at the back that works like a dump truck. Some farmers still use them instead of hopper bottom trailers.
This guy said no. If I wanted to run a dump trailer I would need a larger hydraulic tank than the in frame one currently on the truck
Might have been a trailer with a conveyor in the bottom to pull the grain out the back, wouldn't take as much oil as a dump cylinder.
Or a walking floor....