Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Ford/new holland 655e…any advice to newbie

cuzimnw ยท 2015-01-03 10:05

Hello to the heavy equipment world, i am purchasing my first backhoe to work on my newly purchased property! This is a rather big investment for me being a homeowner and not using to make a living! With that being said there are so many thing s that i dont know about and im sure will be plenty i learn/fix/and research about! I have done my homework on values of backhoes now i want to avoid buying a problem! I have found a machine 97 nh/ford 655e for a reasonable offering,8500 hrs and it seems to be dry, new lines, started up right away with a jump(it had been sitting for awhile), no blow by, everything seems to work! I have done hours on the computer trying to find reviews,specs,and any other info i can but i wanted to post into the professional world to get some feedback! Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks cuzimnw

Replies3
  1. #1Mikefromcny2015-01-06 18:10

    How much does he want for it? thats a lot of hours. Pins and bushings tight? cab, heat a/c? What was is used for? if you could post some pictures it'd be helpful.

  2. #2DualsportWA2015-01-07 18:32

    Is it 4x4? Does it have extendahoe? Those were my two biggest requirements, and I'm REALLY glad I stuck to my guns and found one with both (Case 580K, 7200 hours when I bought it).

  3. #3x-ray2015-01-08 08:35

    I have a 655e and am generally pleased with it. As others have said 8500hrs is a lot (not unheard of for the right price), but at that many hours your going to have to scrutinize it a lot. The "e" designates the "hydraulically extendable dipper" w up to 30% more reach. IMO unless you live on the flat 4x4 is indispensable (New Holland labeling for the switch is goofy). If you live where it is cold as I do make sure the cold start all works as it should. I have heard of issues with the New Holland when the temps dip below 20deg. I have not had these issues other than needing to jump it (new battery does not have enough). It has good breakout force and w a cab tops out I believe over 9ton.