i thought either injection or a air intake heater , but It's tied in to fuel cut off and reverse alarm circuit . It's s push button ,stays on until you release it . I can't see it being either . It would allow a lot in. I browsed the jd manual I bought and. Don't see anything for diagnosing it. Warms fuel maybe?
Found it in the manual appears to be some kind of can possibly does use ether.
The button with the blue arrow is the start aid button (ether), it should activate only when the starter is engaged and the button is pressed. Your switch must be messed up if it stays on? I've never seen that style of ether can, but otherwise it sure looks right, tiny tube that goes to the intake manifold right?
I meant I can press and hold button on. You hear a click like possible relay maybe. I think the can is probably empty and I haven't changed in 10 years. But my question is if I press and hold that button it's going to keep spraying until I release? Asking for future reference going to replace can
With a new full can of ether insatelled you could remove either end of the tube that goes to the manifold and see what it does.
Is that a john Deere item only?
OK, that makes sense when I re-read it. Usually it shouldn't activate without the starter, but I don't have your manual. It should spray until you release it, as long as the starter is on. It's a small orifice, small tube so it won't lock up like if you use too much from a can. I've read that they don't use enough ether if anything. Can't hurt to wait a second until the engine is turning good before hitting it with ether, to eliminate any chance of locking up the starter.