Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Forklift Accidents

DavidClark · 2014-05-30 03:03

What are the major reasons of forklift accidents?

Replies9
  1. #1melizaarora2014-05-30 04:41

    From my experience I think most accidents are caused by lack of training and/or poor supervision of drivers. Many managers are more concerned about output and don’t really put a priority on safety. OSHA requires training but there is a HUGE difference between one training program and another. Some online training is little more than a quick tutorial and watching some videos, whereas the local lift truck dealer will usually have a more comprehensive onsite training school. So that’s my 2 cents there. There are a bunch of accidents each year from poorly maintained lift trucks as well. Deferred or rejected maintenance repairs causes accidents like brake failure, fork failure, chains snapping etc. Intellaliftparts has exclusive information and FAQs on forklift fork wear, how to measure forks, etc

  2. #2mws_19842014-06-26 20:48

    Exactly. With my work, more concerned about time being money than safety, even though they push for safety, but it's all a ploy to look good. Like today I was just in a machine that I never have run before. 1044 Lull. Did alright, but did I know anything about it before today, not much. Just had run the 644,844 and 944 models.

  3. #3digger242j2014-06-26 23:46

    The major reasons for forklift accidents are guys that join the forums, creating multiple user names, and then have one of them ask a seemingly innocuous question, so that the other can reply, posting a spam link. Its a shame, because we allow any legitimate user one opportunity to introduce themselves, and their product or service, with no further obligation. If you play games though, you're no longer welcome, and your link will most likely end up on our auto-censor list. :cool2 (Actually, that's probably not the reason for even one forklift accident, but it is a leading cause of banning from HEF...) :ban

  4. #4mitch5042014-06-27 00:19

    Hey Digger, I thought posting the same comment in multiple threads was a no-no....:nono Keep up the good hunting, Mitch

  5. #5Redsmechanical2014-07-31 20:04

    You make me hesitant to post anything after reading this thread. I don't see what your talking about here. I don't see any spam links, it seems like a valid question. I'm new to the forum and I don't see any spam on the posts I've looked at.

  6. #6mitch5042014-07-31 21:39

    That's because the moderator's remove the spam as fast as it's placed. Just be polite, don't post advertisements, and you'll do fine. Welcome to the forum, Mitch

  7. #7digger242j2014-07-31 22:39

    Thanks, Mitch. You are correct. Look at post #2, above. See the row of asterisks? That's where the spam link was in that post. The reason I could leave that post up is that we've also found it's effective, for repeat offenders, to add their links to our auto-censor list. That's the same software feature that won't let you post words like "****", or "****", or the ever popular "****". You can type them out, but the software just turns them into asterisks. On edit: Actually, if you'd like to make this a useful thread, rather than the public pillorying of a spammer that I turned it into, please do. You seem to know what you're talking about.

  8. #8oceanobob2014-08-01 23:13

    I will add some information to help this thread .... The understanding of the CG on a Reach Fork Lift is really important and it has to do with the "triangle of stability". Similarly, knowing the cg of a warehouse or yard forklift is also a good idea. When I went to forklift class there were many pics of reach lifts on their side and I kept looking to see what was the load - they were empty before they rolled but had the forks up just a bit (so they could see better). The reason it laid over is the cg [when forks are empty] is way back near the rear axle which is mounted on a pivot - that pivot point to the other axle's tire is the overturning line and if the cg crosses that line you are going over. Another thing to watch for is when approaching a building from an innocuous slope and extend a load and set it up on an upper floor or high scaffold - if you roll back before you retract the boom this could flip you over the back side. * In summary: learn what the cg is, learn where it is under different loading situations and drive accordingly.

  9. #9icestationzebra2014-08-02 10:31

    that is what i saw as well. most people think that a loaded forklift is less stable, but in reality unloaded with the boom up is the least stable. plus people are much more concerned about tipping forward so they are aware of that danger, rear tipping is more of a "hidden" danger. ISZ