Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

forklift not start after getting wet

jwanger773 · 2014-01-06 13:20

I recently just pressure washed the engine of a TCM FD30T7after changing the oil and filters. Directly after spraying the forklift down, it would not start and made a clicking noise while turning the key. The backup alarm would also go off when the key was in the off position and the forklift was in forward or neutral. It would turn off when the forklift was in reverse though. But, when the key was put to the on position, the backup alarm would only sound while in reverse. I left the forklift alone over the weekend, and when I can back to it this morning, there was no power. I changed the battery and the lift had power when the key was on, but when I tried to start it, all the power went off and the dash lights stopped working. Now the lift has no power at all. I tested the battery and it is still good at 13 volts and the fuses are all good, so I am wondering if anyone knows what the problem could be?

Replies3
  1. #1grandpa2014-01-06 13:35

    Your main switch must be full of water.... stray voltage jumping around in there creating your problems....

  2. #2Delmer2014-01-06 13:59

    Agreed. This morning you might have put one of the clamps on a little loose and it "let go" when you tried to start it. Check the battery cables for looseness and/or use a multimeter to check for voltage.

  3. #3melizaarora2014-02-20 22:13

    Sounds like wiring/switches. That said, there are different types of backup alarms on the market. Some plastic ones just don’t hold up to power washing; others made from metal are sealed a bit better. Look for IP67 rating on lights and backup alarms.