Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

From bad to worse

lost in france ยท 2015-03-14 08:38

Following on from my woes with my 1845c,i thought I had everything sorted all the bits that I needed just to order and wait for the delivery.In the meantime I noticed the fan was a bid wobbly so took off the housing and got the bearing out, took the bearing to the local ag engineers who at the second attempt got a bearing they rang up this morning and said the had broken the housing trying to put the bearing in!!!!!!!!!!!!:bash (I usually like to see most things done in case the worst happens!!!!!) I fancied the bearing would be a tight fit and the question is has anyone changed the bearing before and did it just press in or was the bearing to cool or the housing to heat up or both or is there an order to do the job right. Tomorrows another day I guess

Replies8
  1. #1Hardline2015-03-14 10:58

    Not sure if it the same or not. Google shows it to be the same but I did one on a 07 24valve. Just put it in a vise and a bfh and drift did the trick.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-03-14 14:11

    Measure twice, press once. Just because it's supposed to fit, doesn't mean it does. Measure. From my very young and always in a hurry self from the eighties, a mental note: "If it's taking ten ton on the press to move a two ton part, STOP!" Mind you this note was made within seconds of hearing a rather loud bang, and observing a broken cast housing.

  3. #3durallymax2015-03-14 17:19

    You can try heating housing in oven and freezing bearing. Works well for many things provided the bearing is the proper size.

  4. #4sheepfoot2015-03-14 18:33

    Well better start calling around. Depending on your s/n there is two different setups one about $410.00 and the other $345.00 and then you still have a bearing that they more than likely will not allow you to return. If you use a bone yard you may be able to find a good used one at a fare price.

  5. #5lost in france2015-03-15 14:13

    Not the same housing as above,its straight and only has 4 bolts. What do you do when you leave something with someone who has generally been competent,and **** happens.(fix it I guess).

  6. #6Equip Junkie2015-03-15 17:21

    No one is perfect, nor do any of us make wise decisions all the time.

  7. #7lost in france2015-03-17 02:23

    Some good news the company who broke the housing have agreed to buy a new one at their charge.

  8. #8Todd v.2015-03-17 06:45

    As it should be, as we all know not every job is going to be profitable.