I just finished rebuilding my first Roosamater pump for my case 350 with 188. With help from the pumpguy. A big thank you! I just had to see if it would do anything before putting it on the dozer so I set up a ghetto manual test station to see what would happen. I am ecstatic to say it draws fuel up and pumps by turning the shaft with a speed wrench. I wasn't cranking like a mad man either. The pump only had whatever fuel was in it from assembly. It got a new transfer pump liner, new blades, and a new updated governor weight retainer. And of course new o-rings. It started to draw fuel up the inlet line as soon as I started turning the shaft. I can't tell you how happy I am right now.
While I don’t condone folks without any pump experience diving into a pump.. I sure hope it works on the machine.. BE SURE to tie the throttle lever BACK while fooling w it .. & leave it tied until the drive shaft is installed.. THEN & ONLY THEN can u cut the wire holding the throttle.. good luck..
It is hard to see in the 2nd picture but the throttle is tied back. I learned why you tie the throttle back the first time I started assembling it and layed the pump down before installing the governor linkage. One of the weights fell out and I had to pull the pump head back out I did a lot of research before starting on it. I now have 2 of these engines and a friend has a third so, once I found out what a rebuild could cost it was either learn to do it myself or I would be out of the dozer and backhoe game. Time will tell if it work,s but so far so good. If it stops raining today hopefully I can hook the pump up to the lines and injectors outside to pre-prime the lines. Then hopefully the machine will start without the usual endless cranking.
I decided to test the whole fuel system out of the tractor. I do not have an injector tester yet but will be ordering one soon. I really wanted to see if the pump would pump and pop the injectors. Clamped the pump in a heavy vise and tried with the speed wrench again. Once the pump was primed I no longer could manually turn it over very fast. It kept stopping I think when the plungers were pushing fuel up the fuel lines. I bled the lines to the injectors well. Then I hooked up a 1/2" drill I have and tried that. Didn't take long and all the injectors were spraying a nice pattern. I did this outside and the injectors were pointing away from me. Pretty stoked right now. I am hoping to install the injectors and pump tomorrow.
Very kool.. Just remember, on the end of the drive shaft that goes in the engine, is a dot.. & inside the pump there’s a dot.. Make sure u install the drive shaft to where the dots meet.. dot to dot. Cuz it won’t matter how good your o/h is if the dots aren’t together.. You’ll b 180* out of time.. The pump will still pump but not at the correct fireing order.. Good luck.. so far so good..
Thank you for the info. I left the engine at 1 ~tdc. The dots on the gears lined up and the line in the pump was lined up. I forgot to look to see if the dot in the pump lined up with the driveshaft dot. Can the engine be 180 out if the other marks lined up?
IDK.. I doubt it BUT.. why take the chance.. as long as the pump is still out.. it’s easy enough to check. Just put the pump in the vise & pull the dr shaft out..
That drive shaft is out of another 188 I am working on. The shaft for the dozer is still in the engine. I hope it is in the right spot
If it’s not.. reach inside the pump with a long screwdriver and turn the “rotor” until it’s inline w the shaft that’s in the engine.. JUST REMEMBER, DOT TO DOT.!!! & DONT FLIP THE 1st SEAL ON THE DRIVE SHAFT.!!!
Wow that was a nasty pump im excited to hear that you have it running
Well the good news is the driveshaft dot was in the same place as the pump when I put them together today. I have pretty much everything back together but I couldn't even get any fuel to come out of the tank. I tried blowing back through hoping to clear it so I could drain it. UH UH no way. I pumped all the fuel out and dropped the sediment bowl which the drain valve was stuck on. When I dropped that it was COMPLETELY full of rust/ muck. Cleaning the tank should be fun....
& u “tried” to start it.?? Holy rust buckets Batman.. Just get yourself a 1 gal oil container & fill it w fuel.. run your inlet & return lines into it.. that’ll b enough to start it.. TIE THE JUG somewhere.. that way you have your hands free..
NO WAY was I going to try running that through my precious pump! I was just trying to get the fuel to flow so I could drain it out easier. And so I could clean the tank.I knew from how the pump looked that the tank would be the same. Going to borrow a pressure washer from a friend to blast out what I can before ever trying to use the tank again.
Partial victory today. The dozer runs and the hydraulics work fine. There was no movement though. I had checked the shuttle fluid before I ran it and It was up to level. After running it however there is nothing on the stick and no movement at all. I have a pretty good leak around the throttle shaft though. I put a new o-ring maybe I cut it when I put it together. The weird thing is that #1 wasn't running that well. It was real smoky. I kept bleeding with it running. After forever it sort of picked up. I sprayed a whiff of ether in the air next to the inlet and it cleared up and ran fine until the next time I shut it off and restarted it. Then it took a long time before it cleared up again. I am wondering if the injectors are not spraying well. I saw them spray out of the machine but they are used injectors out of another tractor.