Hey all. Looking to replace the front bucket cutting edge on my 555e. I’ve looked at a NH one and it’s over $550, yeah no thanks. The front bucket is about 88 inches wide, NH says it’s 88.5 converting from mm. Anyone have any ideas where to buy from? I’ve seen a few by titan that are 84” under $200, but am having a hard time finding 88” or bigger.
A quick search found this on specs. Price is no better. https://romacparts.com/126519a1-cutting-edges-88-90-long/
What exactly are you looking for ? How thick ? 5/8" ? How wide ? There are various widths available. Reversable ? Weld on or bolt on ? When I replaced mine I purchased a bolt-on edge. Then instead of doing 8 feet of cutting and welding, I simply burnt holes for the bolts in the old edge. Paumco.com --->
I purchased one from NH in 2020. It was in stock at my local dealer and I paid $335.00 +tax. Below is the same part I purchased. About $100 more. That is what has happened to steel. I am not thinking you are going to get it much cheaper, honestly. If you buy it online, it will cost a bunch to ship. Welcome to the world today .
Thanks pal. The one I found on Titans website was free shipping, but as I said wasn’t big enough. I was going to try the local dealer route but figured they would be high as well. Even if it’s another brand or heck for a bobcat even I would buy it! The caveat is that it needs to be 88 inches
Wonder what material its made of? We needed to replace the weld on edge on a mini ex blade and just had a local fab shop burn one out on their table for us.
Cutting edges are high carbon steel, the ones for my snowplow are 1060. Ed
Everything I’ve been finding is 1/2 or 5/8. I don’t know what stock is but I would assume thicker is better. Width is 88.5 based on NH specs. Mine doesn’t have bolt holes so I would say weld on would probably be what I needed, but I wouldn’t be opposed to bolt on, I’d just have to straighten out the existing edge as it’s lopsided currently.
It took me about an hour to burn the holes in my existing cutting edge and bolt the new one on. I preferred bolting the new one to the old for the added strength. My old bucket is getting thin on the bottom, and I didn't want to deal with welding the new edge to it. I'm not sure what you mean that yours is lopsided. Is it there more wear on one side as opposed to the opposite ? If it is, a bolt on edge can be located square with the bucket, and then mark the bolt holes.
cosmaar1, I just kind of assumed you were talking about the bolt on edge. My machine had a bolt on when I got it, and I figure it was put on new. The holes were already drilled in the welded cutting edge. Is there a chance that your welded edge is worn back past where the holes would be drilled in the welded edge?? My bolt on is about 1/2" thick. It must be hard, the original one was broken in like 3 places...came off as 3 pieces, not 1.
I did the cutting edge on my 910 Cat loader bucket with 3/4" QT400. Its about 7' 6" wide.I beveled the center section with my track cutter and did the side bits on the milling machine. Bolt on done in 3 pieces ,2 short corner bits and the center edge .Beveled on both sides so i can flip it. I drilled it for 5/8" plow bolts countersunk for the bolt heads. So far its worn well . having the the short side bits allows me to deal with the extra wear on the corners more effectivly.when the corners start to wear a bit i touch them up with some good hardsurface then they last for ever. Its probably an expensive cutting edge ,buts its a good cutting edge.
I've never liked bolt on cutting edges to many things hang up on the bolts.
A steel supplier or fab shop could bevel you a piece of high carbon steel or AR400. A flame cut bevel is actually a little harder after the flame cutting. Make sure to use a little preheat and the proper electrodes if you're welding it on. The advantage to bolting on is it's easier to replace or turn around if both sides are beveled. You could rent a mag drill to put holes in your existing edge if it still has a decent width. A torch will work if you can make a nice hole with it.
Tinkerer, Swetz, funny that you guys are mentioning a bolt on one. I’ve owned the hoe for over 3 years now and never put two and two together until Swetz sent those pics. Looks like someone decided to forgo the cutting edge and instead destroy the front edge of the bucket. Ay yi yi. I went back and looked at pics and it’s in the same shape now that it was when I first bought the machine. I don’t really use the front bucket that often to cut.
Darn, it had holes too. It's pretty much a cut it off and replace deal now. You could leave some it as an edge to weld a new edge up against.
You said that someone decide to forego the cutting edge. No they didn't . The cutting edge is there. The front of the bucket begins where the big weld bead is. It is a good thing you don't plan on using that bucket much. The cutting edge should have been replaced a long time ago. The wear left on the hand side in the photo is the worst I have ever seen. I wonder if the loader frame is bent and caused it to wear like that. The bolt holes in the cutting edge are for bolt-on shanks for teeth.
Or to add a bolt-on "consumable" edge, as you can see in my pics. Cosmaar1, The weld-on is #7 below. You are going to like the price for the weld-on blade even less than the bolt-on. If you really don't use the loader that much, maybe you just want to let it ride??? I think Tinkerer is on to something based to the wear pattern. Something may be bent in the loader frame or mounting. Any welds on the arms or frame? Again, if you are not using the loader that much, it is not that big of a deal. ***Note, these part numbers are for my 675E. Yours may be different!!
You really should put a cutting edge on that. Whomever did that should be flogged.
The bed for the cutting edge is there I believe. On my bucket, when I take the cutting edge off, looks just like that but not worn and th cutting edge protrudes from the bucket an inch or so. Protection for the bucket edge. Mine is worn slightly more on one side and was like that when I bought it so I flipped it and it looks just like that bucket now with the edge of. I know it’s an aftermarket bucket though.
The holes may or may not be for a cutting edge. If the loader was used for clearing a driveway or other area with a crown could explain why the left side is worn more. Worn pins might contribute as well. The edge on my skid steer wasn't a very good steel. After the edge wore back about 3/4" it started to wear much faster. The back of the bucket where it angles up also wore out. Kind of a design oversight.
Could be as simple as different air pressure in the back tires, or different size, or the former operator always used one corner when digging. If it hasn't worn in the last three years, how much do you think you'll wear before you have to rebuild that part of the bucket? you could add a weld on edge now, or something half assed to keep it going, or leave it, it probably won't be the thing that wears out your machine if you're not using it much and keep an eye on it.
Might have enough left a new edge could just be welded or bolted underneath.
Hope you don’t use that bucket much unless you don’t like it. That bucket is about 200 hours from being totaled. Lol If I were to look at that to buy I would seriously depreciate just for that.
It's not worn out other than it needs a new cutting edge and maybe the runners underneath. Not a huge job to repair.
Agreed but if he keeps using it it will be screwed up.
Appreciate everyone’s comments. Nothing from what I can tell on the machine is bent or has been welded on to repair a crack or break. As I mentioned the bucket was like this when I first bought it, so it’s been like that for a long while. I agree it needs replaced and actually I brought it home last week from the property to do a few jobs on it during the lovely Ohio winter months. One of my jobs was to redo the edge so that it doesn’t ruin the bucket further. I plan to call some local shops tomorrow to see what they say. I’m more than capable of doing some different modifications using non OEM parts, it’s just finding something that’s reasonable in cost.
Is a half-arrow weld-on edge an option? They work well but maybe the cost is prohibitive now
My bucket edge must have had some pretty bad damage that got welded when they replaced it. The bolt on edge measures 88-1/2" wide by 1/2" thick. It is held on by 8 bolts on 11-5/8" centers.
That’s a pretty nice job from what I can tell. Would love to see the bottom of the bucket in the back. Just for curiosity, looks like someone completely rebuilt that bucket.
It was done before I owned it. I think this hoe started life at a road department in Texas. Looks like they went back proper with the weld on cutting edge followed by the bolt on as shown in the parts breakdown. The rest of the bucket looks undamaged underneath.
Possible that damage is from loading broken concrete and large rock, cracked the floor, rust got between the cutting edge and the floor lifting it up, rock tore it off, they patched it.
Hey cosmaar1, Take a look on marketplace or craigslist for a new weld-on cutting edge. I was surprised to find several for sale locally. I just scored a weld-on cutting edge on craigslist for $150. It is bigger and thicker than I need, but since it is weld-on, it will be just fine.
Yeah I’ve been doing that but no cigar…. At least yet. I called a local fabricator a week ago and they quoted me around $300 that includes the 45 degree bevel. It was 5/8, AR-400 plate. Better than $500 from new holland.
See if they can put a little less slope than 45 deg's. so the edge cuts in easier. Maybe 30 deg's.
I was going to comment on this too. The angle is definitely not 45 degrees. I will measure what I got when I have a chance. Seams like a good deal for beveled AR-400 otherwise.
I just measured the bevel on the one I just purchased. It is 25 degrees. I have no idea what is common, just that, that is what the one I purchased is. Perhaps some more knowledgeable would chime in. 45 degrees is just too steep of an angle, to me.
I've bought several weld on cutting edges from Adirondack Road Materials in Eastern New York State. They seem to have disappeared from existence. Most recent, D Miller was good enough to sell me a cutting edge for a Backhoe bucket. I have also bought a cutting edge with bolt holes from an individual in Massachusetts It'll take some research to figure out his contact info. He is using a track torch to put an edge on it.
There is a shop not far from me that does custom water jet cutting. That may be an alternative to cutting a bevel. It would be neat way to cut bolt holes too.
A torch cut bevel leaves the edge a little harder on standard steel and might on harder steel as well.
Appreciate what everyone has been saying about the angle. I sort of figured that 45 was normal but now that I think about it, y’all are right… it’s got to be in the 20s. Appreciate the measurement Swetz. I will have to do a bit of research.
about $190 for 5/8 x 6 x 88.5 https://www.coremarkmetals.com/steel-beveled-cutting-edge most steel warehouses have some cut to length like that in stock its likely quite a bit less at another supplier I use that doesn't sell on the web Try searching for steel distributors near you I have bought out of Ford steel in Ohio not sure if they are close to you or not
I just came across this on Craigslist. This place has a bit of everything, and is well known in the area. I know it is a bit far for some, but maybe it will help someone. Reversible Cutting Edges starting at $66 - heavy equipment - by... Reversible Cutting Edges starting at $66 12 Ft. - $120.00 10 Ft. - $105.00 9 Ft. - $ 95.00 - Non-reversible, holes offset from center 6 Ft. - $ 66.00 Specifications Width: 6" Thickness: 1/2" Blade... southjersey.craigslist.org