Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel cap not venting on 450G

lobo ยท 2012-04-18 22:54

Tractor has not been easy starting lately. She fires right up then stalls. After more turning over than I like she starts. Thought I might have run her too low on fuel. Went to put fuel in tonight and heard air sucking sound. I noticed little bb's for venting were covered over with paint. Cleaned off paint and tried to push them in, they are stuck. New cap is $77.00 from John Deere. Has anyone worked on these caps before and could this be my problem?

Replies6
  1. #1Reid2012-04-19 00:44

    Have you Tryed running it without the cap just make sure that is the problem.

  2. #2grandpa2012-04-19 06:42

    I don't think the BB's are meant to be pushed in... look at the rim of the cap below th bb's, there should be a hole there... bb's are used to seal the hole.

  3. #3lobo2012-04-19 08:00

    Thanks grandpa, I will check that out. I did see last night one side had a metal fibre filter and the other side a rusty looking nut that I could try to take apart and clean. These are both on the bottom of cap to the inside of tank. BB's are right above these two spots like they would allow air to come in. I will take a closer look.

  4. #4lobo2012-04-25 09:11

    grandpa you were right. Air comes in from bottom rim of cap. I cleaned the two rusty looking nuts and found out they where vent plugs. One is for air to come in and the other for air to go out of tank. I have not run her yet but with cap off she starts right up.

  5. #5grandpa2012-04-26 07:09

    Well Lobo, we'll keep our finger's crossed that it will fix your issue. Keep us posted ... thanks Grampa.

  6. #6earthscratcher2012-04-29 22:43

    i had the same problem on my 700,i just run the cap a turn from tight and it has ran fine ever since