Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Fuel Cost

Canadian_digger · 2022-03-05 08:08

What is everyone doing with the steep increase in fuel prices? They are going up daily with no end in site! Are you adjusting rates as they go up? Adding a fuel surcharge? Absorbing the cost? Other?

Replies50
  1. #1cuttin edge2022-03-05 09:23

    Don't know what the plan is. Oil goes up, so does liquid asphalt. We add 15% to everything in winter to offset the shutdown season. Having to fire up a 350 excavator in order to break into frozen stock piles ain't cheap. Some government contracts have items that allow for fuel costs. Gas was $1.56 L last week, jumped to $1.61 Thursday, then $1.70 yesterday. I think fuel is $1.85, like $5 something a gallon

  2. #2Acoals2022-03-05 12:28

    Diesel jumped from $4.00 to about $4.50 overnight a couple days ago here in Wisconsin. I guess I will be just trying to keep pushing pricing up to keep up. Just got a price on an undercarriage for my excavator, just the chains and sprockets are $4900, last year the same quote was $3900 . . . it isn't just the fuel that's causing pricing problems.

  3. #3cuttin edge2022-03-05 16:51

    I just put $197.00 worth of...no cost of gas in my truck today. Hearing that it is going up another 12 cents per liter tonight. Just waiting for the power company to request a rate increase to cover the cost of fuel

  4. #4tdrainage2022-03-05 17:08

    Gas has gone from 3.59gal to 4.17 in the last 48hrs here in east central IL - on road diesel is 4.29 to 4.79gal Last off-road we got about 10 days ago was at 3.29gal. How does a guy know how to quote these days? May do like local electrician - quote is good for 3 days only.....

  5. #5JLarson2022-03-05 17:24

    Out travel charge is going up in service calls. Quotes have only been good for a few days plus there's pricing subject to world events and conditions language in since the china flu started.

  6. #6CM19952022-03-05 20:58

    All the above. We can only charge so much more and be competitive so we eat some of it. The "other" is the wildcard. Best advice I can give is buckle up it's going to be wild ride.

  7. #7tdrainage2022-03-05 21:57

    I agree on the wild ride for the foreseeable future. We are fortunate that we have a very good workload and most our clients do not depend on one particular years income to base their decisions on. They also understand real world issues and do not have any issue with realistic and fair price increases. But like you we eat some of it also

  8. #8JLarson2022-03-05 22:04

    I see me and my boys doing a few bulk fuel installs in the near future.

  9. #9Kiwi-truckwit2022-03-05 22:59

    Our petrol in New Zealand is over $3 a litre now. Diesel over $2 per litre

  10. #10CM19952022-03-06 09:53

    Yikes!! $8 a gallon for diesel?

  11. #11crane operator2022-03-06 10:08

    That's only $5/ gallon in Us dollars, unless he did a currency exchange.

  12. #12Kiwi-truckwit2022-03-06 11:07

    That's in $nzd. Diesel vehicles also need to pay a separate road user tax, which is $78/1000km for a passenger vehicle. If you were to own a typical truck& trailer in NZ, you'd be paying $400/1000km for the truck, and $238/1000km for the trailer. So for our fleet that runs on average 50L-100km, you're paying $1.64/km just on diesel and road user charges

  13. #13crane operator2022-03-06 11:10

    Do you refine your own fuel in N. Zealand, or does it come from australia or further north already refined?

  14. #14Kiwi-truckwit2022-03-06 11:14

    Currently a bit of a mix, however our refinement plant is going to be closed down, & all fuel imported.

  15. #15crane operator2022-03-06 11:23

    Sorry, I hope you guys don't end up regretting that.

  16. #16Kiwi-truckwit2022-03-06 12:07

    I have little doubt that we will. Our current govt is determined to move away from ICE vehicles, meantime we're importing record amounts of coal to generate electricity in our ageing Huntiy power station, which is already on borrowed time

  17. #17CM19952022-03-06 12:13

    How many KM's on average per year per truck?

  18. #18Kiwi-truckwit2022-03-06 12:55

    Depends on the usage. Trucks that are double shifted can do around 300,000km a year. Our trucks typically do around 50-100,000km a year

  19. #19Questionable wizard2022-03-06 14:00

    Those prices were what I heard from a friend on the South Island. Aukland/Wellington area.

  20. #20Kiwi-truckwit2022-03-06 14:12

    I'm in the central NI, and I payed $3.04/L for 95 octane on the weekend.

  21. #21Keith Merrell2022-03-06 14:23

    $5.33 for diesel in Phoenix, would have taken a picture but was driving

  22. #22Shimmy12022-03-06 15:11

    I plan on adding a fuel surcharge. Some of my customers are kind of touchy in regards to rates, and with a surcharge, I can adjust according to current fuel price, up or down as required.

  23. #23.RC.2022-03-06 23:13

    Unlikely to come from Australia as our fuel companies have been closing refineries over the last few decades. There were eight oil refineries in Australia twenty years ago. Soon that will be down to two. Fuel here is about AU$ 1.90/litre. 10% of that is a consumption tax that businesses can claim back, and there is a 42c/litre government tax as well, that you can claim back if you use it off road. AU$1.90/litre is the same as around US$5.30/gallon.

  24. #24DoyleX2022-03-07 07:40

    So remember 15yrs ago when fuel was $5 gal? With inflation and current trends $8 gal is a reality. Ittl get to the point where you'll make more money going broke on the couch than going to work. And yes you've gotta readjust your pricing accordingly but the whole competive thing comes into play with certain customers...

  25. #25tdrainage2022-03-07 09:12

    I would go broke at home on the couch before I go broke out working trying to beat another guy’s bid. Not playing that game. Our regular customers know us for quality work at a fair price. That is where we will stay

  26. #26Coaldust2022-11-30 21:29

    Let’s thread bump this with a Deadhorse. AK diesel price update.

  27. #27crane operator2022-11-30 23:41

    I saw $2.60/ gallon for unleaded today in central missouri.

  28. #28_Weldman_2022-12-01 01:06

    At least it's within range of each other in price. $3.39 petrol $4.89 diesel Miles City MT

  29. #29Coaldust2022-12-01 01:19

    Look again. That’s an 8. Lol. But, it was Lasagna night at the Deadhorse Aviation Center cafeteria, so there’s that.

  30. #30Vetech632022-12-01 07:32

    Looks like I'll have to sell one of my kidneys

  31. #31terex herder2022-12-01 07:34

    Coaldust, what challenges does the DEF present in the frozen north?

  32. #32Nige2022-12-01 08:23

    Our local prices @ current US$ exchange rate when I filled up this morning. Unleaded $6.04/gallon, diesel $8.78/gallon.

  33. #33DDoug2022-12-01 09:00

    I didn't keep track of where all your at these days....where are these prices at sir ?

  34. #34Nige2022-12-01 09:23

    A small rock populated by what appears to be 85k alcoholics approximately halfway between England and Ireland.

  35. #35Birken Vogt2022-12-01 10:23

    That is almost within range of California prices. Somehow we keep functioning but I don't understand how.

  36. #36Tugger22022-12-01 10:26

    Just had my bulk tank filled yesterday with marked diesel. If my math is right ,4.44 per US gal. Its a 500 gal tank 3806$ Canadian to fill it. I guess fuel is like air you just have to have it.

  37. #37colson042022-12-01 10:53

    Kalamazoo, MI area: Gasoline: $3.49-$3.69/gallon Diesel: $5.39-$5.69/gallon Interesting deal this week. Gasoline prices had slowly dropped around 30 cents from November 25th until November 30th. Then mid day on the 30th, they shot back up 30 cents in one jump. Then the morning of Decembet 1st, they dropped back down 30 cents to where they were before the spike in Wednesday. It was all of Kalamazoo that jumped and most seem to have went right back down within 24 hours. I didn't look into this beyond our local area, but I was surprised by the swing up and down in such a short period of time. Price of diesel never changed during this same period. Its held pretty steady for 2 months now.

  38. #38DDoug2022-12-01 12:11

    We have one of the highest gas taxes in the nation, and we are currently at $4.19 a gallon....however: Sheetz Lowering Unleaded 88 Gas Prices to $1.99 per Gallon - Erie News Now | WICU and WSEE in Erie, PA

  39. #39Coaldust2022-12-01 17:22

    Terex, DEF in the frozen north? It’s a nightmare. But, the last couple model years of new equipment, the OEM’s have almost figured it out. We are adding insulation to the lines and installing locally made DEF tank blankets. The logistics of bulk DEF are very challenging. That results in mountains of plastic waste from retail packaging.

  40. #40CM19952022-12-01 18:33

    Regular is averaging $2.90 and diesel is around $4.90 - $2 a gallon average difference here. Today jobber delivered 500 gal off-road and 500 gal on-road to the yard haven't seen the price yet.

  41. #4192U 34062022-12-01 20:04

    Saving the planet, one cardboard box and plastic jug at a time I absolutely HATED telehandlers in winter. Direct drive fans and never being worked hard meant they'd have to be parked indoors. Otherwise they never got hot enough to thaw the DEF in order for DEF dosing to start in the required timeframe.

  42. #42Shimmy12022-12-01 22:45

    I'm sure it varies, but what is the average time to start dosing? It was -2F this morning, it took 2 hours for the indicator on my 290 to turn blue meaning it had reached proper temperature. No codes so I assume it was within parameters?

  43. #4392U 34062022-12-02 00:29

    I thought I had read somewhere in some service literature that dosing had to be started within 40ish minutes of engine start. Its been a few years since I've had to deal with emissions so I'm not as up on it as I used to be.

  44. #44barrelroll2022-12-05 17:28

    $4.89 for unleaded, $5.29 for diesel in Juneau, Alaska. All our fuel comes from the lower 48 by barge. We have some of the cheaper fuel in the state. How fuel in Alaska is cheaper than the lower 48 makes no sense. Coaldust is the bush over $10 per gallon these days?

  45. #45Coaldust2022-12-05 18:12

    Barrelroll, Howdy. Good to hear you reporting from JNU. I’m not disagreeing with you or calling you out, but I’m pretty sure the last barge of fuel came from Asia. I recently had a texting conversation with the guy that brokered the deal for a ship full of 10 million gallons. It’s been averaging $1.60 to $2.00 a gallon cheaper than pulling from the PNW. That’s one reason your prices have been shockingly reasonable. But, I could be wrong. There might be some domestic in storage.

  46. #46barrelroll2022-12-05 19:25

    You I don't think I have a good source for that assumption it came from the lower 48 and just assumed it. When the boat from Asia comes over is there a bulk storage somewhere the majority heads to?

  47. #47Coaldust2022-12-05 21:39

    The ship from Asia enters Alaskan waters at a strategic location. Usually, a well protected place from the weather, and meets one or more barge customers for the transfer. Then, we fill the big green tanks, South of town, when the tide is right.

  48. #48Coaldust2022-12-05 21:44

    Sometimes, the big ship will fill barges out the chain on the way, then hit Western Alaska. The logistics and financing is rather interesting and way above my pay grade. Especially the financing, because banks are being pressured to not do carbon business.

  49. #49Coaldust2022-12-06 15:15

    Antril S. in Haines after unloading on a frosty day.

  50. #50cfherrman2022-12-06 21:19

    That's really cool. Here in Kansas 3.30 and 4.50